*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822759-Art-Galleries-Confucius--My-Dream-Home
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#822759 added July 16, 2014 at 1:31pm
Restrictions: None
Art Galleries, Confucius & My Dream Home
Today's blogs...

Blog City – Day 135


Prompt: If you were going to an art museum, would you rather see paintings or sculptures? Do you like older ones or modern ones?

Now an art museum I can get into... my preference would be paintings over sculptures, although seeing it all would be the best. I would say I am more drawn to the older more traditional paintings, the modern stuff can often look like something a little child could do it - and I am not saying those are not good, because the child created something fabulous but an adult doing it and trying to sell it for mega bucks is mind blowing. It just seems so contrived and beyond extravagant.

I like the quiet serenity you find when you walk and meander around an art gallery. The people visiting are as interesting as the paintings.
I am not an art historian. I do not know a lot about artists or their paintings per se, but I know what I like when I gaze into a painting and get lost in its use of colours and techniques. The work involved amazes me. One artist, I am sorry I forgot his name, uses only dots to paint his intricate works - pointillism I believe is his style. I googled Pointillism and found the artist I like - Georges-Pierre Seurat.

Being someone who likes to draw, I find I am drawn to the artwork that is more detail oriented and realistic. Artists that can create something almost realistic out of paint draw me to their work. Ken Danby and Robert Bateman come to mind - though I am not sure if they are considered more modern.

I like Monet. "Monet was a founder of French Impressionist painting, and the most consistent and prolific practitioner of the movement's philosophy of expressing one's perceptions before nature, especially as applied to plein-air landscape painting" - this quote I got from Wikipedia. There is a heavenly quality to his work and that appeals to me.

Border for my personal use.


30 Day Blogging Challenge


Confucius say "To go beyond is as wrong as to fall to short." Do you agree or disagree?

I need to see if I understand this first... I interpret this as if you overdo something it is as bad as not doing enough. I would say I would agree with that sentiment - though perhaps not in all things. Sometimes it is nice to have an overabundance of items versus a scarcity - but only if the product is desirable. Though with an overabundance you may have to take a cut in profit as you consider the aspects of supply and demand.

If I take this into the realm of working out... I can see overdoing it leaving a person too sore to workout over the next days versus having done the 'just right' amount. Not doing enough, in this case may be okay so long as you do not do that consistently and then complain that you are not getting the results you want. It is up to the individual to determine what is going beyond and what is falling short and that can be hard to figure out if you are new to a sport or exercise program.

If you take this into the realm of service to others... again the individual must determine the 'just right' amount because for some people going above and beyond the call may make them feel good if they are intrinsically motivated. For someone else, if they go that same amount and expect an external reward of some kind they may walk away from the situation feeling resentful. Falling short leaves the ones receiving the service resentful, yet they may appreciate the extra boost if the other goes beyond - but not everyone will acknowledge that.

There is a fine line in all these things and each must make that determinate for themselves and be strong in knowing that is the right choice for them.

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality – Week Thirty


1. Describe your dream house. How does your current home compare?

My dream home would be in a large forested area with neighbours who are a distance away - yet not so far I can not get or provide help if needed. The house would be overlooking a lake or pristine water. Large windows would let in the light and sky lights would allow for starry skies to be viewed. The great room would have cathedral high ceilings and a working fireplace. It would be open concept with the kitchen tucked over to the side - still getting the beautiful views and the glorious light but the ceiling would slant down and only be nine foot in this area. The appliances would be modern - fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave. Plenty of counter space so that my coffee pot would not take over the place. The center island would provide a wonderful work space and stools to allow others to sit and converse while I cook or a place where I could stop to do a little writing if the spirit moved me.

The full piece bathroom with toilet, double sinks and large six foot Jacuzzi bathtub would also be joined by a beautifully tiled shower with water jets that fall not only from the top but also from the sides. The glassed in enclosure would keep things light and open. A sky light would also provide some illumination. This bathroom would come off the master bedroom. Another smaller powder room with a sink, tub and toilet would come off the main foyer area.

The master bedroom would also have huge windows overlooking the lake. These windows would have access to be opened with screens pulled across to keep out the bugs. A queen size bed would fill the space and a large walk in closet would organize all our clothes, shoes and such. The ceiling here would only be nine foot as well. I would say the master bedroom would be on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen. a small hallway would also connect the master bedroom, bathroom and a smaller bedroom to the back of the house away from the lake. This room would also have a large window to let in the light but unlike the master and great room it would not reach all the way to the floor. It would have a window seat with a comfortable cushion on it.

A loft area would provide another bedroom and an office area looking out over the great room. Stairs for the loft would lead off the foyer area. The foyer area would also be open with nine foot ceilings sloping up into the loft area. Windows would allow a view of the driveway and the forest around it.

To make my husband happy there would be a three car garage adjacent to the house with a mudroom/laundry room attaching the areas. These would be on the kitchen side of the house with the main entrance and foyer also coming in from that side. This way noise from those areas would not effect anyone sleeping in the master bedroom.

The house would also have a basement, for my husband's surround sound entertainment units. The basement family area would be filled with comfortable furniture perfect for watching movies. There could also be an area for playing darts and pool or table tennis.

Outside there would be a dock going out into the lake and close to the house there would be a deck attached to the house with access from the side door off the kitchen and the master bedroom. In the great room the window would allow for opening.

Although this house would be away from the rush and bustle of big city life we would not be that far from it as we both still have to work and have access to community endeavours. I would love it to be in Muskoka but that might be too far.

If I were to compare it to our current place it would have more storage, more openness, more garage space and laundry space on the main floor. We do have a forest behind our house, but it does not surround the house and our neighboours are in our pockets - packed in like sardines in cookie cutter homes. House with two floors and 1500 square feet. The dream house is sprawling and, except for the loft, all the essentials are on the main floor.


© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822759-Art-Galleries-Confucius--My-Dream-Home