*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825827-Trees-Pearls--Reflective-Thoughts
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#825827 added August 21, 2014 at 9:09am
Restrictions: None
Trees, Pearls & Reflective Thoughts
Today's blogs...

30 Day Bloggers Challenge


Campers Prompt for August 20th
Hi, its a 2 parts this time
1. Review this well known poem and tell Norb and I if you know who the author is.

Trees

I think that I shall never see, a poem as lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed against the earth's sweet flowing breast:
A tree that looks at God all day And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain; Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me, But only God can make a tree.


2. Find a tree that you love and tell us about it whether in a poem or a story.

First the review... I really like this poem.....

Okay, so you want more than that well here goes....

I am thinking it is written by a wise poet like Walt Whitman or Frost having a bit of fun. A search revealed... Joyce Kilmer. I have heard this poem before but had never looked for the poet. That seems unfair somehow, like I should care to know....
I notice in her own writings on the poem she had ‘pressed’ is written as ‘prest’. To ensure the word is sure to rhyme, I suppose.
I love the tie in to God and nature. The imagery is vivid and the tree comes alive with its mouth prest against the ‘earth’s sweet flowing breast’. There is a vitality to that image – life blood. I love how the tree gives its thanks and praise to God in prayer with leafy arms lifted. The poet does not take herself so seriously she pokes fun - calling herself a fool. We create, but God's creation is far more potent than we will ever be. One must remember that, but still contribute to the vitality of our world by creating in joy and love.

Now for my own tree’s tribute....

The tree stands tall and strong
Through wind, rain, snow and sleet
It weathers all demands.
And holds its branches sturdily up
When children climb and reach.
This tree it stretches year upon year
Grows wide and digs in deep
It's roots, like fingers find
vitality in that lays beneath.
It's leaves embrace the touch of God
And in its tranquility and shade
I find my peace again and again.


Border for my personal use.


Blog City – Day 170


Prompt: Pearls. Anything you want to write about pearls. Serious or funny.

Peer into
Eternal orbs that glow
Amazing depth comes from so simple
Rarely found, but worth it
Lovely against skin so soft
Silky strands of life, divine.


Pick it open
Ease the hinge
Await the treasure
Rare it hides
Look inside
See, it’s there!

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality – Week Thirty – Five


4. What didn't turn out as expected? Was it for the better or worse?

This could be anything really. I sat down thinking what it could be... my marriage. That is deep and full in topic, but my mind plays with poems and ideas and what I had expected to write twists and turns into its own design. I follow, trying to capture the wisps that flip in the wind. Smiling at this task at hand and knowing it is not what I may have intended but it is neither good, nor bad... it just is and I am comfortable with that.

6. Tell us something you wish that you could forget.

I am sure we all have things we would want to disappear or wish never happened but I can not help reflecting on all that comes within a life... These things we perceive as good or bad are not really either. They are experiences: some profoundly moving and life changing; others equally life changing, but dark and twisted. All these elements, the mundane with the cosmically chaotic create a life that is full and variegated. There is depth and wonder. There is joy and sadness. There is faith and hope. Each moment is priceless in its value to the person who holds these memories. What you make of these moments is what gives you power or tears you apart - it is all within you. You just need to choose. And I choose to praise and thank God for all my experiences. They have made me who I am. I am not finished yet, there is much more to come. Bring it on.

© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825827-Trees-Pearls--Reflective-Thoughts