*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825919-Talking-Books--Other-Strange-Noises-In-The-Night
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#825919 added August 21, 2014 at 2:06pm
Restrictions: None
Talking Books & Other Strange Noises In The Night
Today's Blogs....

Blog City - Day 171


Prompt: You hear a noise coming from your book shelf. Your books are talking to each other. Which books are they? What are they saying?

Marvelous prompt....

I couldn't sleep. Something woke me and I lay a moment in the dark trying to get my bearings. I could hear muttering, like conversation, but looking over I noticed my husband curled in his usual position and his breathing thick in snores.

I levered myself up and out of bed as silently as I could and moved out into the hallway. The muttering continued and I followed the sound wondering if maybe the computer had been left on in the front bedroom.

Along the dark hall I stepped on silent feet. My ears strained to make out the voices and what was being said.

"You are most definitely entertaining, but we are useful."

"Useful... when was the last time she took one of you off the shelf."

"Hmmp. She chooses us when she needs us. You have not even been read, not even once and I dare say, when she has, she will discard you like the others who have come and gone."

"Just be glad you have a place. We're still in this damn box," A muffled voice could be heard.

"Shelf space is limited. Some of us don't belong to here."

"Damn right." A deeper voice boomed.

"You sir, are not even supposed to be on this shelf."

"How did you get here again?"

"She left an opening when she borrowed a few of us and didn't bring us back."

"Maybe she got rid of them." snickered the smaller voice.

"No... I dare say, she is using the references and needs us."

"Lost is what it is." The deep voice said. "Her loss. I'm here now."

"Not if she decides to rearrange."

"I don't see that happening anytime soon. She buys more before making space."

"She'll never read us all."

"Sure she will."

I pressed the door open and looked in to see no one. The voices fell silent. I stood and looked towards my shelves. Was I dreaming or had I heard voices... my books talking. Shaking my head I turned to go.

"Just not right now."

I whirled back, but the silence grew again.

"I am not crazy." I whispered to myself as I looked across the cramped shelves.

School textbooks and teaching manuals dominated, but a few young adult novels held the second shelf with a few select writing reference books. My husband had even jammed in a few of his own. It was a mishmash. I decided it was time to revamp my book shelves, put things back in order. Tomorrow would be soon enough.

"Tomorrow you will be set to order." I spoke out into the room. With that said I turned and went back to bed.

I heard nothing else, but the disturbed snort from my husband as I took up my spot.

Border for my personal use.


Now I hear sounds and lights....

30 Day Bloggers Challenge


Campers Prompt: There were strange sounds and weird lights by the lake that we haven't seen before last night. Tell us what you think happened? Did you notice anything unusual in camp this morning? Here's your chance to let your imagination run wild. Yay, more tall tales!

I woke to strange sounds. As I lay within the darkened tent my eyes were drawn to the opening where flits of light splashed then disappeared.

"What the hell..." I muttered to myself and shifted to ease out of my bunk.

I pulled on my sweat pants over my PJs and grabbed my jacket before crossing to the opening and letting myself out into the fresh night air. A glance at the guys tent showed no sign of life, but I could hear a few snores.

Looking toward the lake I noticed the flits of light again. i would swear it was flashlights but the colours were not right. Glits of colour shimmered off the lake. Red, purple, blue, green. They seemed to dance. It was like nothing I had ever scene before. I stood stock still, for how long I do not know.

It was not until Lyn's a sly fox touched my arrm that I jumped.

"Sorry." she whispered, her eyes trained on the lights as well. "What do you make of that?"

"I don't know."

"Could be a fairie dance." Prosperous Snow celebrating whispered her voice thick with wonder.

"Water faries." I whispered back not taking my eyes off the glinting lights.

Music hung on the air like pixie dust. Flutes and other high pitched woodwinds trilled across the lake.

"It's beautiful." we all whispered together.

"Hey... can you guys see that?" Charlie ~ croaked out in a sleepy haze. Glancing back at him I smiled at he swiped at his eyes as if trying to clear the image.

"We can... you're okay, Charlie." We chuckled.

"What is going on out here?" Came a grumpy Fivesixer until his eyes found the view and he stilled.

"We think it's a farie dance." Prosperous Snow celebrating told him in an awed whisper.

"It appears to be staying on the far side of the lake." I whispered.

"Should we go check it out?" Fivesixer asked.

"I don't think so. I would say just enjoy the show."

"Well, I'm getting my blanket then." Charlie ~ whispered.

We agreed that was a great idea and each of us returned to get our blankets. We all found spots along the water's edge and sat, wrapped and watching. As the sky began to lighten the lights flitted off into the forest and were gone.

"I think we should go explore that side of the lake tomorrow." Fivesixer whispered as we all began to gather ourselves and head back to our beds.

"I'll come." I said and noticed a few others nod as well.

"Until tomorrow then..."


© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825919-Talking-Books--Other-Strange-Noises-In-The-Night