*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827206-Hard-Work-More-Important-Than-Genetics-Cartoons--Celebrate
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#827206 added September 11, 2014 at 10:52am
Restrictions: None
Hard Work More Important Than Genetics, Cartoons & Celebrate
Today's blogs.....

30 Day Blogging Challenge - Opinion Thursday


"Simply telling people that hard work is more important than genetics causes positive changes in the brain and may make them willing to try harder, a study shows. "Giving people messages that encourage learning and motivation may promote more efficient performance," said the lead investigator. "In contrast, telling people that intelligence is genetically fixed may inadvertently hamper learning."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140903105757.htm

My question to you is: Do you believe it is that simple to improve the way a person approaches learning? I am interested in what you think about the study done by Michigan State University. Did anyone encourage you in the method they are suggesting?

Interesting article. I like to believe we work for what we get. We can strive to make a difference and meet the challenges we open ourselves up to... being in the teaching profession I like to believe I can make a difference by using my words to ignite children to try and to challenge themselves. To give them a safe place to explore and build their confidence. I have worked in some low economic schools, you want to break the cycles of poverty and giving children a positive message that they can do it if they try and show them how to make those changes can bring about those changes little by little. Many of these children are swamped with the negative, but anything we can do to reach them is better than not.

As for my own learning... I have a feeling i stumbled on it myself. Though, I think my mother would often say I was smarter than her, and more like my father when it came to math. I challenged myself to take math and science... probably because it was not the most popular pursuit for a girl. There were times I often took on the challenge because some idiot didn't think I could.

Though I also believe that many of my relatives are intelligent. Just because you don't have a degree does not mean you aren't smart... in fact, I often find they are smart in other ways... ways the world supports. My grandmother would say she was stupid, but she had a teacher tell her that one time and her own mother could be a real downer when it came to her. Her mother loved her first born, going to be a teacher, daaughter. And I am sure Aunt Jean was fabulous... but she died of pnemonia when she was off at Teacher's College. My grandmother's brother, my great uncle Alec taught himself many things. My grandmother's smarts were most definitely there but she did not see them... I think, in a way, I got some of my spunk for trying from her and that goes a lot further than a genetic determinate. Sure there may be a genetic variable but it is not nailed down and it is on a scale... what we make of it determines how high or low we fall within that variation.

Border for my personal use.


Blog City – Day 185 {Day 4 of The LIST}


Prompt: Who was your favorite cartoon character?
LISTERS, remember to include your list. 14 items linked in some way to your entry.


Favourite cartoon character... oh, to pick only one. I grew up with The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour and The Fintstones. I loved those shows, though there was no real female beyond the stereotypical Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck. Yeeash.

Now, almost anything can be animated so your favourite can be anything... Female characters can now be the heroines and can be strong... like Belle from Beauty and the Beast. I like the sisters from Frozen.

Olof from Frozen makes me smile. "I can't feel my feet!' "Those are my feet, silly."

LIST #4 - Cartoon Characters of Merit
#1. Belle from Beauty and the Beast
#2. The Beast from the same movie.
#3. Goofy
#4. Pluto
#5. Olaf from Frozen
#6. Elsa The Snow Queen from Frozen
#7. Anna her sister
#8. Kristoff
#9. Bugs Bunny
#10.Elmer Fudd
#11. Roger Rabbit - "PPPPPPPPPPPllllllleeeeeaaaassssseeeee!"
#12. Woody from Toy Story
#13. Buzz Lightyear
#14. Shrek

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality – Week Thirty – Seven


3. What is your favourite way to celebrate special occasions?

I think this depends on the event. Family connections are important to me. My cousin is getting married in a few weeks. It is an excuse to get family together. It is unfortunate that some people from our side won't be able to make it. My oldest uncle lives in British Columbia - he has never been to any of the families' weddings, not even his closest sister's wedding. He was thinking he would come to this one - even bought a new RV to make the trip, but he has been diagnosed with cancer and has just recently started his treatments. He is now aware that long trips are out of the question. Short trips, close to home is about all he can handle at this point. Other family members run a dairy farm and getting away is difficult. Because they can't make it, other members have decided not to make it. Sad, but true... so... it will be a fun time, nonetheless.

Christmas is family. We have our traditions that allows my husband and I to see his family and mine.

Birthday's have changed over the years. It is not so much about family now that our niece and nephew are older. Now it is dinner out. Simple acknowledgement.

The acknowledgement is important. Being remembered is important.

© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827206-Hard-Work-More-Important-Than-Genetics-Cartoons--Celebrate