*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833744-Deepening-Faith-and-Spirituality--A-Friday-Groceries-Event
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#833744 added November 10, 2014 at 9:45am
Restrictions: None
Deepening Faith and Spirituality & A Friday Groceries Event
Today's blogs...

Blog City – Day 252


Prompt: Write about an experience that led you to change a deep-held opinion or belief about what life is.

If you wish to generalize instead, write about some of the reasons or ways people may change their opinions and beliefs about life.
I would have to say, that until my husband (then fiance) had his back go out on him, I was not all that connected to God. I began going to church more and watching religious programming on TV. I came to a different place with my spirituality. I had always believed in God - but after the death of my father when I was twelve, I stepped back. I was angry at God for taking him.

My family did not go to church - anymore. They stopped when I was about five. I remember my mother saying the "you did not have to go to church to believe in God". She had grown up out of town so she had not gone to church as a child. My father, however, went each and every week because his mother was very committed to her church and her faith. When my mother decided we weren't going anymore, my dad was perfectly fine with it. If I went to church after that, it was with the neighbours.

It was not until my husband and I got engaged that we started going to church more regularly. Wanting to get married in a church we needed to belong to a church. When he hurt his back, I continued on my own and I drew a strength from that experience. My understanding and my faith grew.

I find I am more spirit centered now. Religion and going to church is not a big focus. We still go, but not as frequently. I find I get more of a spiritual charge being in the natural world. God in all His creation.

I have come to realize and believe God is in us; He works through us. I am His hands and feet her on Earth. I fail and hide a lot - such is the nature of being human, but in my imperfection I am His. My life and how I live it is to serve others - whether it is teaching in a classroom and being there for my students or crafting my words to show the beauty and love in the world.

I let my light shine so that others can see His greatness. We must all find our way, find the path that makes the most sense. The path that resonates with us. Connecting to that spiritual center brings a wholeness that is missing when you dismiss it. It does not matter if you go to church regularly. It just matters that you say 'thank you' to something greater than yourself. That something can be God or it can be whatever you find spiritually sacred - you connect and in that connection you blossom.

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality - Week Forty - Seven


2. Share with us some things that restore your faith in humanity.

I was watching a bit of Joyce Meyer Ministeries yesterday and she was showing an event called Friday Groceries. Guts Church in the Tulsa, Oklahoma community gives out free groceries to families in need. The event I watched happened before school was to begin - the community not only gave free groceries, but there was medical and dental checkups for the children. Families could also get clothing, shoes and bikes for their little ones. Truly a wonderful sight to behold. Such a positive experience. A message of hope and healing in a broken world.

One lady they interviewed is raising her 5 grandchildren on a retirement income. Another lady is a single mom who had just lost her job - in the past her had been a volunteer, now she needed the help.

Here is the link - a few minutes to see people giving back. Truly a wonderful thing whether it is something on a grand scale like this or even in the little acts of kindness we give each other. It all makes the heart a little lighter and eases the burdens of the world.

http://vimeo.com/98082965

© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833744-Deepening-Faith-and-Spirituality--A-Friday-Groceries-Event