*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839099-Darkness-Freedom-Of-Speech--Write-What-You-Know
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#839099 added January 20, 2015 at 5:53pm
Restrictions: None
Darkness, Freedom Of Speech & Write What You Know
Today's blogs...

Blog City โ€“ Day 322


Prompt: What do you think darkness is and why is it important to understand your own dark side?

Darkness can be seen as black nothingness, but it can also be seen as that alternate side of ourselves. The side that houses the more sinister emotions - anger, hate, jealousy, maliciousness. We all embody these emotions; some of us let them out more than others and some of us hide or deny that side of ourselves because it frightens us. But it is there. To appreciate the sweet emotions that we like and cherish, we need to embrace the darker emotions and know they exist.

How can a good person, like Stephen King, create stories of such gruesomeness. It is because he embraces his darker side. He lets it out on the page, where it is safe to play with. Check out the writings at

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1983752 by Not Available.


- these are all fabulous people.... who are in touch with their dark sides.

We are often drawn to the dark side, particularly when we watch movies or read books. We want bad things to happen to the characters, but we also want to see them overcome the badness. Good prevails over evil, but the world has both and we need to acknowledge and embrace that aspect.

Where would stories be if we did not have both? Nobody wants to read a story about perfect lives in sunny worlds... it just does not reach us; it does not stir us or evoke caring for the characters.

Border for my personal use.


30 Day Blogging Challenge โ€“ Twofer Tuesday


We were given two news snippets to comment upon โ€“ picking only one of the two. But they are related in a way... it all comes down to freedom of speech. We should not be held as potential victims if we write, produce or document some kind of satirical book, movie or any such thing. For one thing, it is done in fun to break the tension of the times. If those who disagree with it are upset then they need to voice their opinions not cyber bully or attack the people involved. What is our world coming to when we cannot think or say what we wish.

Personally I have no wish to see the movie The Interview โ€“ Seth Rogan gives me the heebie jeebies but I do not think it is fair that Sony pulled the movie because of the threats. So much hard work went into that movie. It would not be right to shelve it.

Obama is correct in saying the States should not act differently or back down. They need to be who they are and stand up for their right to freedom of speech. It is a movie for heaven's sake, not a documentary and who knows if they will move onto those in the future. We need to take a stand and not be frightened by radicals that are intolerant.

The same is true for wearing buttons of support. We need to stand together to let these radicals know we will not be scared off by their idiocy. Radical intolerance will not be accepted.

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality โ€“ Week Fifty โ€“ Seven


6. Do you agree with the adage "write what you know"?

We actually know a lot more than we realize. Each story aims to build an emotional bridge between the character and the reader. If a writer is able to do that, to make those feelings authentic and bring that character alive, then the writer has succeeded in writing what they know. It does not matter if you are writing about deep space or your neighbourhood. Characters matter. Connection and identification to the character matter. Without it you have no story anyone will be willing to read.

Sure, a little research can only help. The challenge is welcome. If you are interested, you will gladly do that research. But the essence of a story, the tone, emotions or perspective, are what we already know. According to The Gotham's Writer's Workshop, the "truest maxim in this respect might be Write what ignites your interest." We marry what we know with what ignites our interest and Boom! A great story.

© Copyright 2015 ๐Ÿ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
๐Ÿ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/839099-Darkness-Freedom-Of-Speech--Write-What-You-Know