*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842012-Leadership-Engaging-Others-Surprise--Youre-Still-The-One
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#842012 added February 20, 2015 at 5:03pm
Restrictions: None
Leadership Engaging Others, Surprise! & You're Still The One
Today's blog....

Blog City – Day 353


Motivational speaker/writer Stephen R. Covey says, " True leadership is communicating to people their worth and potential so clearly that they come to see it in themselves. Only then can you inspire others and create a community where people feel engaged."

Do you agree or disagree? Is this leadership style present in your world? Or are you subjected to a more authoritarian point of view? If you disagree what does leadership mean to you? What qualities are important for a great leader to possess?


Being a teacher, I fully agree with this quote. An excellent teacher is to lead, facilitate and inspire her students to see their worth and potential so that they engage in the learning process. The best classrooms have created a community of learners engaged in the process, not only in intellectual pursuits and projects but in social and emotional aspects as well - through classroom meetings. It is the ideal. I believe it is possible. You need to get everyone on board, though. One negative voice can undermine much of the process.

I worked in a school in a lower economic area, It was a struggle to get these students to believe they could be more than what they already were. I also had one student who would call out "This is stupid" every time an assignment was given out. If I could get to him and help him over come the anxieties that generated that immediate reaction, I was able to keep the class on a more upbeat level... but it was tricky. For him it was like a knee jerk reaction - he would say it, then get down to work... but the negativity was spread... like a poison.

I have been lucky to work with other teachers who try to be that kind of ideal teacher... at least I feel that way anyway. We work collaboratively to come up with ideas and lesson plans to engage the students.

Border for my personal use.


30 Day Blogging Challenge – Day 20


What are your thoughts on surprise parties? I’m in the process of planning two – yes, two. One is a baby shower and one is a 40th birthday bash. Have you ever had a surprise party thrown for you? Do you even like surprises? Have you ever had to throw a surprise party?

I am not a big fan. I find I don't like being the center of attention so a surprise party for me is not the best idea. My wedding shower was a surprise and though I enjoyed it, I was not happy about having to go home to Kitchener after work and then returning to Guelph for the party. My husband was in charge of getting me there. He did not insist that I change into something party like... so although I cleaned up a bit, there was not enough time. I showed up, fully surprised, wearing jeans and a t-shirt. If I had known I would have dolled up a bit.... there were lots of pictures. My guests knew about the party so they were all dressed up in their pretty dresses. I don't wear a dress unless I know it is a special occasion.

As for throwing a surprise party... I have only done it once and it was for my husband's birthday. I found it stressful. I think he enjoyed it, but he is another one who is not a big fan of surprise party.



Border for my personal use.


Soundtrack of my Life - Day 20


Love Songs – Theme for music blog.

** Image ID #2023824 Unavailable **


You’re Still The One – Shania Twain



This may not be our wedding song, but I find it does say a lot about my own relationship with my husband. He's still the one.

© Copyright 2015 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842012-Leadership-Engaging-Others-Surprise--Youre-Still-The-One