*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/841923-Fighting-With-Fish-Sticks--Everything-I-Do-I-Do-For-You
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#841923 added February 19, 2015 at 5:52pm
Restrictions: None
Fighting With Fish Sticks & Everything I Do I Do For You
Today's blogs...

30 Day Blogging Challenge โ€“ Day 19 โ€“ head to head challenge.


Write a story that includes fish sticks in some central way. Yup, that's right. Fish sticks. Frozen, fried fish sticks.

I slunk in hoping to not be noticed. Not be drawn out. Not be singled out. As silent as was humanly possible I crept over the threshold of the apartment and held my breath as I toed off my sneakers and tipped my back pack off my shoulders. I had taken all of two steps down the hall when my mother's voice thick with alcohol slurred out after me.

"You better have put those shoes over where I won't trip on 'em."

Crap. Caught. I froze unable to move forward or back. The smell of burning fish sticks brought me out of my stance.

"Boy." she yelled.

I dropped my bag against the wall and headed into the kitchen. Grabbing the oven mitts I pulled the charred fish sticks out of the oven and dumped them into the plate she had left on the top of the oven. The clattering of the pan brought my mother up out of her chair. I waved the thick smoke the billowed out around me as best I could. Then I moved to the window to open it.

"What the f***, boy." she yelled. "Can you be any louder? Shit it's cold! What the hell are you doing?" her voice slurred over the words. Her blood shot eyes glared into me as she grabbed my arms roughly. Her fingers dug in painfully but I refused to give her the satisfaction of crying out.

"The fish sticks are burnt." I mumbled and when she shoved me back, I turned and headed for the hallway.

"Hey, where you think you're going and where is that useless sister of yours?"

Tresla had a date. I'd seen her on my way home, flirting with the boys as she made her way down Main street. No doubt she had plans that did not include any kind of family tonight, but I was not going to tell my mother that. Instead, I mumbled "I didn't know."

"Fine. Little bitch...." my mother muttered and continued to curse as she stumbled her way over to the fridge and grabbed another beer. "You better eat them fish sticks. That's your dinner. Ain't getting nothing else."

"I'll eat 'em later." I called back as I grabbed my bag and headed for my room.

"You better. I slaved for your ass...." she muttered as she popped the beer's tab and guzzled back the liquid letting a bit of it trickle down her chin.

In my room I gathered a few items I would need and shoved them into my pack. I pulled the granola bar I had nabbed from the corner market out of my jacket pocket and sat on the bed to nibble at it. There was no way I was going to eat those fish sticks. She had probably laced them with booze or something worse, rat poison. I wasn't taking any chances. As soon as the coast was clear I was out of here. I figured I would be better off on my own than with a mother that would sooner kill me as feed me.

Border for my personal use.


Soundtrack of my Life - Day 19


Love Songs โ€“ Theme for music blog.

** Image ID #2023824 Unavailable **


(Everything I Do) I Do For You โ€“ Bryan Adams


From the movie Robin Hood with Kevin Cosner. Loved this movie. This song propelled Bryan Adams into the realm of greatness that I believe the Canadian standards for broadcasting were saying he could no longer we seen as โ€˜Canadian contentโ€™ as he the song was too popular and it was created with others from other countries. Heaven forbid we get too good.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/arts-entertainment/media/ruling-the-airwav...





© Copyright 2015 ๐Ÿ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
๐Ÿ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/841923-Fighting-With-Fish-Sticks--Everything-I-Do-I-Do-For-You