*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/856328-The-Safety-Concerns-of-Camping---Day-1
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#856328 added August 3, 2015 at 11:57am
Restrictions: None
The Safety Concerns of Camping - Day 1
30 Day Blogging Challenge - Day 1 (late entry)


For August 2015.


Please consider reviewing http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm
So you are familiar with the places mentioned throughout the month.

1.Letโ€™s talk about safety firstโ€ฆ why is it important to sleep a minimum of 100 yards (91 meters) from where you hang your food, cook, and eat your food. Should you keep your sleeping gear clean and free of food odor. What about sleeping in the same clothes worn while cooking and eating, is there a risk?

Okay.... we keep our distance so the wildlife doesn't mistake us for a meat Popsicle! I don't know about you, but I am not interested in waking up to some bear gnawing on my leg. It would totally ruin the experience for me.

I have also heard you should hang your food up in a tree. Off the ground to discourage an easy feast. More work equals less chance they will stick around.

I would also say put our noisiest snorers over closer... but still at the 91 meter mark. The rest of us can hide, I mean, stay close but on the out perimeter.

It is an excellent idea to keep things clean. Not only do the smells attract those big toothy animals, but the insects like the scents as well. Sweet things will attract bees and I am not partial to bees.... or running, for that matter. Doing the freaked out bee dance is not on my list of adventures this summer. So let's keep it clean people... I will even volunteer for cleanup.

As for clothes, I never really thought of it, but yeah... I don't think I would want to wear the clothes that smells of our food or have possible food droppings on them. Meat popscicle, remember. So what do you do... I may need to consult my fellow campers; because I am not keen on streaking and I would not have protection from the fire sparks... I may also frighten my fellow campers and I don't want to be abandoned for poor etiquette... if the insects don't carry me off.

I am thinking an outfit designated for cooking and eating and a chance to wash it in the stream whenever possible.

Did anyone think to bring bear spray? When my husband first mentioned this I thought he was talking about something you spray on yourself like bug repellent, but apparently you use it like mace! Oh, am I blond, or what?!

Please tell us about your previous camping experiences.

As for my own camping experiences... they are few and far between. I am not a big fan of sleeping on the ground and being eaten by mosquitoes. I love nature and enjoy trail hikes and biking.

I have slept in a tent on a couple of occasions and did enjoy it - the people make the experience. It is just not something I put at the top of my holidaying list... unless it is a virtual camping trip.

I am not a high maintenance girl so I think I will do just fine.

My husband has told me that in Algonquin Park here in Ontario you are not allowed to take in canned goods. I am thinking anything that could be left as litter is not allowed in.



© Copyright 2015 ๐Ÿ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
๐Ÿ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/856328-The-Safety-Concerns-of-Camping---Day-1