*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857690-Day-17---Mountain-Biking---a-21-mile-virtual-trek
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#857690 added August 17, 2015 at 8:08pm
Restrictions: None
Day 17 - Mountain Biking - a 21 mile virtual trek
30 Day Blogging Challenge – Day 17


Indian Creek, here we come... We are going by mountain bike to our next camp location. We will be having lunch at Beaver Creek but as you see on the map ( link I've given you ) we have quite a ride ahead of us so we will be leaving the lodge at daylight. What risks do you think we might encounter on our way. Have you ever done a mountain bike adventure before?
http://www.yellowstonenationalpark.com/maps.htm


I haven't done a mountain biking adventure before, though I do have a mountain bike. I prefer the main roads and paths and not the tiny, winding trails that cut too close to the trees. In Yellowstone, we need to stay off the walking trails for people and stay on the roads. At this time of year there will be a lot of traffic and RVs will be a little nerving when they pass us, but I am confident that we will be able to make it.

Biking is a much more intimate way to see the sites. Maybe we will see a herd of bison cross the road, or a coyote at the edge of the bush. Starting early in the morning will be good. To bike in the coolness of the morning will be less busy and the sun coming up will be a treat. I have a backpack with one of those water bottles inside. It is hooked up in such a way that I can sip my water without having to stop - there is a plastic tube with a mouthpiece I just need to bite to release the water. This little pack will allow me to carry the essentials - as long as our big, heavy packs have been sent ahead to the next campsite. I would not really want to bike with my lumbering pack.

We have 21 miles ahead of us.... I hope I can make it. When we get there I will be falling down tired, I am sure. Being in the mountains, I am expecting terrain that is not flat.

I mapquested to see how far I would have to go and for me - it would be to Ayr Public School and home again. That is about 36 km. This trip is 2 km shorter.

Indian Creek has vault toilets and no running water. Please make sure you have filled your water bottles. Norb and I have made arrangements to have water delivered to out site but while riding the twenty one miles you will want water. Indian Creek is one of the more primitive camp areas in Yellowstone. What do you think a vault toilet is? What is the difference between a vault and an outhouse?

Okay, I actually looked this up. Both share similarities in that they are not flushable. With a vault toilet they seem to be constructed in cinder block style whereas outhouses are often wooden structures with a hole in a bench. The vault toilet has something resembling a toilet to sit on, in an outhouse there may be a toilet seat, but not always. My grandparents had no seat. I believe they just covered their hole with a newspaper. Outhouses are smellier, I think. Vault toilets might have a system to cut back on the vile smell. There also seems to be some kind of venting system in the vault toilet. An outhouse does not have that.

We will be exploring the Gallatin mountain range with breathtaking views of Electric Peak to the north. Nearby Gardner's Hole offers great wildlife viewing opportunities. This campground offers easy access to great fishing and hiking. The campground is quiet, off the beaten path, with great view of the night sky.

I expect to enjoy this area... but after a good long sleep. I doubt I will feel the hard ground. I bike trip will see to that. I would love a hot tub or hot spring, but I will survive. How did everyone else do? Did we all make it?
I am thinking I will be in the best shape of my life if this was a real trip... I need to be more active in my day to day.

© Copyright 2015 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857690-Day-17---Mountain-Biking---a-21-mile-virtual-trek