*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860183-Funny-Things-Kids-Say-Broke-Down-Car-Contests-Memories
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#860183 added September 16, 2015 at 9:08am
Restrictions: None
Funny Things Kids Say, Broke Down Car, Contests, Memories
Welcome To My Reality - Week Ninety - One

September 14th - September 20th, 2015


1. What is the funniest thing you have ever heard a child say?

Having spent a good deal of time supplying in Kindergarten I have gotten to hear plenty of funny bits. One that sticks in my mind came from a little guy in junior kindergarten - a mere four years old. The whole class was all ready to go at the end of the day, but this little guy was taking his sweet time. Being the only adult to get 22 children ready at the end of the day is quite the experience... but anyway.... I could not take them out for dismissal until everyone was ready, so I tried to hurry this little guy along. Well, he had a routine. First snowpants, then boots, then coat, then hat, then mitts.... and so forth, but I interfered and encouraged him to put his coat on before his boots. Well he did it... but not before propping his hands on his hips and saying in a very adult tone "I"m not very happy about this." I bit my smile back and turned away. I could swear this little guy heard this often at home... he was quite a handful. Priceless.

2. If you were all alone on a deserted highway, and your car broke down, what would you do?

Hope for cell service and call CAA.

I remember my Dad running out of gas once when we were on our way up to Timmins. He was prepared to walk us back to the nearest gas station.... we were lucky a family picked us up and dropped us off. Yes, my Dad was hitchhiking. Not something I would recommend, but it got us to the gas station and someone from there drove us back to the car. This was also during the mid-seventies.

I would hope I would not be alone in this situation... but if I had no cell service and it was deserted I may be inclined to wait it out and get out my emergency supplies kit of blanket and snacks for the long wait. Someone would eventually come by.... I hope.

I may also check and see if it was something I could fix.... but I am not very proficient in that.

3. What is your favorite contest on WDC and why?

Now seriously this is hard.... to pick only one. I would probably pick.... Annette ’s "I Write in August-September-October and her other I Write contests. She operates 4 three month sessions – where you enter another contest of your choosing and then record it on her forum and then review the person who posted before you in the forum. It forces you to enter a contest a week and makes sure you write and review at least once a week for 13 weeks at a time. I have entered quickie contests, daily flash fiction, writer’s cramp, poetry contests.... I vary and enjoy the challenge of the variety.

The best time of year for contests is September – more precisely, the Birthday Celebration contests. This year I did flash fiction and poetry as well as a 15 finger frenzy – which was a little of everything,

4. What is the kindest thing you have ever done for someone you have never met in person? Why did you do it?

I have done shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. I have helped fill Christmas stockings for a family that had recently lost their mother to cancer. In both cases, I did it to bring smiles to these children who were having troubled times. Christmas is a time to be happy and to share the love.

It feels weird telling you what kind things I have done... so I will finish this prompt by saying I do what I can for people I know and don’t know. Anything from a smile and a kind word to giving gifts and prayers. We are here to help each other and helping one another feels good... like a blossoming of goodness inside you.

5. What is your fondest memory from your childhood? What made it so special to you?

Visiting my Grandparents farm. Whether it was a weeks vacation in the summer or Sunday night dinners and visits. Those visits were my fondest memories. Memories of love and acceptance. The only child in a circle of loving adults. A place where I could be myself and still be loved. Gramzie was my heart and I adored her. In her eyes, I could do no wrong. Every kid needs someone like that.

I remember one visit. My mom and I... my father rarely came out with us, took out a small brick of vanilla ice cream. (You can't even buy that size anymore). It was my Grandpa's favourite. Gramzie cut the slab into four equal parts and we each got to enjoy the cold treat before it melted. They did not have electricity so it was a take and eat right away kind of thing.

I remember sitting on Gramzie's lap in the warm glow of the kerosene lamps. I remember the smell of the wood stove and the heat. I remember the little pink pot I used behind the wood stove... instead of having to go out to the big fly infested outhouse. I remember the clanging chamber pots. I remember the smell of my Grandpa's pipe. I remember the long grass and the flowers. I remember the barn cat, Missy, who mom would bring in from the grainery every time we arrived. I remember the old wood swing wide enough for two. I remember the walks with my Grandpa and Laddy (His adopted dog) down to the creek and back in the evenings after the sun was not so hot... and the bees not so crazy. I remember the water pump and the baths outdoors at the end of the day when the water would have heated from the sun all day long. Hugs, kisses, stories my Grandpa would tell. To me it was a magical place.

6. What was your nickname as a child? who gave it to you? Was it a source of pride or embarrassment?

I was an only child. That left me vulnerable to those bullies who liked to pick fun and tease. Not knowing how to ignore and let things alone, I became a target. I got called ‘Grizzilda” – witchy and ugly. I hated it and the more I reacted the more they teased me and called me that.... the thing is, when I look back at pictures of myself... I notice a pretty, tall blond girl and it makes me think, maybe they were just jealous or insecure in their own looks. Sticking out at me gave them power and they revelled in it. For me, my self esteem took a beating and I tried to be small and invisible whenever possible.

I was an odd child in that I preferred my own company to that of my peers... who wants to hang around with idiots? I preferred being around adults. It was less stressful. No one challenging you to conform... and I did not want to do what everyone else was doing.

Being an only child I tended to talk to myself on occasion and I think the other children thought that was really weird.

I was never a social pariah.... but then I lived in a small town; when I moved to Guelph, I hung out for a time with a girl who everyone 'hated' and thought she was weird. I, sadly, ended my friendship with her, I was worried that her reputation would transfer to me and having moved to a new town I wanted a fresh start... not the one I had had. I understood her pain, but I still added to it... social pressures in grade six are huge.

Growing up sucks. Children can be cruel and mean. Insecurities and lack of control fuel some to act out and hurt others. I remember that girl in Guelph as an individual amoug a conformist grouping. She stood out in her individuality. I did as well, when I lived in New Liskeard. Moving to Guelph, I chose to hide.... until I found friends, who liked me for me. That is when I met Michelle and then later Debbie... who are still my friends to this day. They helped me come out of my self imposed shell.

7. What is your most memorable experience, either good or bad, of an experience you had with an animal, and what kind of animal was it?

Animals are a big part of my life... except for the last couple of years, I have always had a cat. Now I visit family that have cats to get my cat fix.

A memorable animal experience was the time my neighbour rescued a White Samoyed that had been hit by the train behind our houses. Our neighbour was a nurse and did not think the animal was going to make it. We made it comfortable in the basement and my friend and I stayed with it while her mother made some phone calls. I don't think my friend's mother had access to a car that day. I knew from school, only two of these dogs had been adopted in the area so it was pretty easy to contact the owners. They came over to get their dog and took it to the vet. Unfortunately, the dog didn't make it.

I know this is a sad experience. Sorry about that. I have many happy memories with my cats.

I will tell a little funny one. When I was a child I used to play school in the basement. But... the basement was dark and scary. There was a huge oil furnace at the bottom of the steps and in the far corner of the basement the Canadian Shield rock cut into our basement - we lived in Northern Ontario. I used to pick up my cat, Kerry and carry her downstairs. I would hold onto her as I looked in every nook and cranny making sure no beasties were hiding down there. Only when I felt satisfied would I put Kerry down. She would usually stay close to me.

It sounds cute, right, but one of my reason's for doing this was that if I encountered a 'monster' the cat with all her lovely claws would be my projectile weapon. I fully intended to throw her at my assailant. Luckily, I never had to do that!


© Copyright 2015 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860183-Funny-Things-Kids-Say-Broke-Down-Car-Contests-Memories