*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862748-Smelly-Memories--A-Time-I-Quit
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#862748 added October 13, 2015 at 12:03am
Restrictions: None
Smelly Memories & A Time I Quit
Welcome To My Reality - October Prompts


22. Many people associate smells with memories. Tell us about one smell that triggers a memory in you. Who or what does it remind you of, and why?

I don't smoke but the smell of Players cigarettes been lit brings back memories of my Dad. He smoked those... probably a pack a day. He died of cancer when he was 44 and I was 12.

The smell of cigars reminds me of my great Uncle Fred. He was married to my Dad's youngest aunt who is still living in New Liskeard. She has the same birthday as me but she's older at 88.

The smell of a pipe reminds me of my Grandfather. He was forever having to stop and relight that thing. I remember walking to the plaza with him one time and he stopped to light it 4 times. It should have been a 15 minute walk.... with all the stopping it was closer to 30 minutes.

23. Tell us about a time when you quit.

I worked at WalMart many years ago. I had been there over a year and I was starting to get a lot more shifts. The problem was I had asked to only do one evening and one weekend shift because I was also doing a full time long term occasional teaching position in a special education class. I was also still working one evening a week with a special services at home client. I had to keep giving up shifts every time I went into work. That part I didn't mind... the part that got me was that it was getting close to Christmas and customers were getting kind of nasty. The bitchiness factor was climbing. The Christmas schedule had me working Christmas Eve until 4 pm and Boxing Day at 1 pm. I didn't mind having one but both of those days was a bit excessive - particularly when my own family Christmas starts Christmas Eve afternoon... at my place and goes to Boxing day. I had asked for Christmas Eve off so that I could tidy and organize my house for our guests... my husband's family, who were to be arriving at 4 pm.

I decided I had had enough and quit a day or so after that schedule came out on December 18. To my frustration the teacher I was replacing decided he would be returning after Christmas break.... I had been hoping for full time for the whole school year. I contemplated going back to WalMart but decided I wouldn't. I managed to get another long term occasional teaching position after March Break - that one went to the following March Break the next year.

© Copyright 2015 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862748-Smelly-Memories--A-Time-I-Quit