*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885484-Voting-Rights-are-Civil-Rights
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#885484 added June 23, 2016 at 4:07pm
Restrictions: None
Voting Rights are Civil Rights
Thursday, June 23, 2016


The "Blogging Circle of Friends prompt for Day 1318
I love the fact that I have the freedom to vote, in this country, thanks to Vets like myself. I get excited about major election years, like this one. but the fact that i think the people running for most of the elections have lost sight of what they are supposed to do, and how the system was originally set up. tell me your thoughts about elections in a story, poem, rant or rave...just remember to have fun...

I'm old enough to remember numerous elections. I'm old enough to remember the Civil Rights Marches. Though I never marched in one, I remember watching them on television. I remember watching the news on Sunday, March 7, 1965. On, Sunday, March 7, 1965, civil rights marchers were murdered by "state troopers and a sheriff's posse in Selma, Ala."1

What, some people may ask, has the "march between Selma and Montgomery"2 have to do with voting rights? Voting rights is one of our civil rights in the United States. The march occurred because black people were being denied the civil rights as citizens of the U.S.A. In many states black people could not vote simply because of the color of their skin. When one individual is prevented from exercising his or her civil rights then it has a domino effect on the rest of the citizen. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 assisted blacks to practice the civil right as citizens of the U.S.

In 2015 limits were put on that act, I think that was a mistake. However, since I'm not a member of the Supreme Court or a Civil Rights lawyer, I'm not qualified to comment on that. There are other things about voting that I am qualified to comment on. I've worked the primary and general election polls in Nevada for several years. Therefore, I can assure you that no one votes who isn't either a natural born or naturalized American citizen. In addition, there is the idea of voter fraud, which is extremely rare and caught before the votes are counted.


Footnotes
1  http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/march-7-1965-civil-rights-marchers-...
2  ibid


© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885484-Voting-Rights-are-Civil-Rights