*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885849-Narcissism-Selfies-and-Animals
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#885849 added June 28, 2016 at 1:10pm
Restrictions: None
Narcissism, Selfies, and Animals
Tuesday, June 28, 2016

“Narcissistic personality disorder is named for Narcissus, from Greek mythology, who fell in love with his own reflection. Freud used the term to describe persons who were self-absorbed, and psychoanalysts have focused on the narcissist’s need to bolster his or her self-esteem through grandiose fantasy, exaggerated ambition, exhibitionism, and feelings of entitlement.”
Donald W. Black

The "Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise prompt for Day 842
Does taking selfies show narcissism? What about taking selfies with animals, especially wild animals, and disturbing their peace?

In some cases selfies show narcissism, but I think suggesting every person who takes a selfie is narcissistic is an overstatement. People take selfies for different reasons. Some take the pictures because they want to share something with their family. Other take them because something unusual happens, like a butterfly landing on the individual's head, and they want to show the world it happened.

There are certain types of selfies that indicate narcissism, however, selfies with animals are not, in most cases, one of them. People take pictures with animal for different reason. Sometimes they want to share a precious pet moment with their friends and family. At other times the just want people to see a different side of themselves and the pet. The same thing is true for people to what pictures of themselves with wild animals.

When I see a picture a person takes of themselves with a wild animal, I question that person's sanity. Domestic animals can be unpredictable at time and wild animals are even worse. Taking a picture with a wild animal is dangerous because you don't know if that animal is suddenly going to take a nip out of your body or kick you in the shins.

The category of selfie that suggest narcissism concerns those of peoples' privet parts. A man or a woman who takes a picture of his or her body parts are narcissistic. It doesn't matter if they e-mail those photos to another person or post them on social media it is still the sign of a narcissistic personality. Of course, since I don't have a degree in psychology, this is only a personal opinion.

© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/885849-Narcissism-Selfies-and-Animals