*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886353-The-Sunday-News-Washington-DC-or-New-Columbia
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#886353 added July 3, 2016 at 12:33pm
Restrictions: None
The Sunday News: Washington, D.C. or New Columbia
Sunday, July 3, 2016

I used to define myself as conservative, but that was before the Tea Party movement. The Tea Party movement made it appearance which taught me that I wasn't conservative. I changed my political definition to moderate which lasted a short time. I then changed to slightly liberal, whatever that means. After thinking about the definitions of conservative, moderate, and liberal, I realized I don't fit into any of those categories. The reason is simple, I'm conservative on some issues, while I'm moderate or liberal on others. I'm tired of being put in a category, therefore I'm going to tell people I'm a conservative-moderate-liberal non-partisan-independent. Yes, I know non-partisan and independent are interchangeable.


The Sunday News prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS
Washington, DC is reviving a campaign to become the 51st state in the union  , and if successful the area's name could be changed to New Columbia. It's important to note that DC was established to exist outside of the borders of any state in an effort to not favor the Capitol's home state over any other in the country. Should the government allow DC to become a state or function like one? And if you do not reside in the US, but your nation's capital city is within a particular area of the country, do you see that as being a detriment or an advantage to where you live?

Should Washington, D.C. become a state called New Columbia? If the citizens of Washington, D.C. want to become a state then I think they should. I don't see that making Washington, D.C. a state would make a hell of a lot of difference in politics. One advantage to the Capitol of the United State becoming the 51st is that it would piss off some of the Republicans in Congress and running for president or congress. The citizens of Washington, D.C. have just as much right to live in a state as the citizens of the rest of the country. Maybe at one time in American history there would have been a problem, but in today's national and international politic climate I don't see a problem.


I suspect that the majority of voters, whether the identify themselves Democrat, Republican, Independent, conservative, moderate, or liberal, don't vote their party line. True some voters still focus on what is good for the party rather then what is good for the country, but that is changing and will continue to change. I think having Washington, D.C. as a state is good for the country. We may not be able to see the advantages now and those advantages may not become clear until after Washington, D.C. because New Columbia, but they will become clear.

© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886353-The-Sunday-News-Washington-DC-or-New-Columbia