*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886411-Monday-Musing-Bald-Eagle-Versus-The-Turkey
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#886411 added July 4, 2016 at 1:09am
Restrictions: None
Monday Musing: Bald Eagle Versus The Turkey
Monday, July 4, 2016

"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism."
Erma Bombeck

The "Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise prompt for Day 848
Why do you think bald eagle became a symbol of USA? And what would you do if a bald eagle landed on the roof of your dwelling and began eyeing you?

The Bald Eagle became the symbol of America because we were at war with England. On June 20, 1782, the American lawmakers named the Bald Eagle the national bird because it looked fierce. There was a controversy because Benjamin Franklin thought the turkey would make a better symbol for America. Mr. Franklin thought that, even thought the bald eagle had courage, the turkey was a more respectable bird.1 If the turkey were the symbol of America, would we still have turkey on Thanksgiving or would we be eating bald eagle instead? This is certainly something to think about over the Thanksgiving meal.


“For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him."2
Benjamin Franklin

What would I do if a bald eagle landed on my roof and started glaring at me? First, I would make sure that Chena, the Chihuahua, was in the apartment. Chihuahuas are small dogs and can easily be carried off by a Bald Eagle. Once I know the dog was safe then I would take a picture of the bird before calling Channel Three. I don't think I have to worry about an eagle carrying me off. All though that would make a good short story.


Footnotes
1  http://www.nwf.org/news-and-magazines/national-wildlife/birds/archives/2007/amer...
2  http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/american-myths-benjamin-franklins-tur...


© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/886411-Monday-Musing-Bald-Eagle-Versus-The-Turkey