*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889363-Day-6---Montpellier-France-Olympics--When-Nature-Calls
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#889363 added August 6, 2016 at 1:48pm
Restrictions: None
Day 6 - Montpellier, France, Olympics & When Nature Calls
30 Day Blogging Challenge


30-Day Blogging Challenge August 2016.

Aug 6th-- Montpellier, France

Montpellier, the capital of the Languedoc-Roussillon region of southern France, is 10km inland from the Mediterranean Sea. Its medieval center, the Ecusson, is home to narrow alleyways and the pedestrian-only Rue de la Loge, where shops sell antiques, crafts and upmarket fashion. The 13th-century Université de Montpellier contributes to a large student population and a cutting-edge cultural scene.

A university town, I love university towns.... we have two in the city I live in.
The train ride from Barcelona was long - 4 hours. Despite my excitement, I did manage to doze.

I am so excited about the day. eleusive4lyn gave the itinerary and I looked up the venues before going to bed... my mouth was watering just looking at the food from the Empanadas Club. I better save room for all that good food. I’ll need to walk and walk and walk to burn off all the wonderfulness of it all! Don’t know if I will be able to sleep....

Lyn's a sly fox has us back on budget.
http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Hotel-Prime/Montpellier/2999?dateFr...

Our rooms at the hostel are like a hotel room. There is a pool and our rooms have their own bathroom. There is also a restaurant. I am perfectly happy with the accommodation. When the place is as grand as the hotel in Barcelona, you almost don’t want to go out, but when the accommodation is clean and neat, but simple.... I am more tempted to use it as a passing through spot. This is good, Lyn.

Today is Antigone. It s a district of Montpellier, France.
We see unusual neoclassical architecture that was designed by Spanish architect, Ricardo Bofill. Sadly, no more Gaudi. *Sad* Antigone is built on the grounds of the former Joffre Barracks. It stretches from the Polygon Shopping Centre to the River Lez. We don't take a lot of time here as our tour is soon to begin.

Lyn has us spending half the day, three and a half hours, sampling fine French wines in France’s largest wine region... just outside Montpellier. We got to learn about wine production in the Languedoc-Roussillon region and visited two elegant châteaux. There vineyards were idyllic. After discovering the different grapes, peeking into the production rooms and learning about the aging process, we got to indulge in an expert-led tasting of red, white and rosé wines. I am not a big drinker, but I thoroughly enjoyed this experience. The wine really was quite good.

Read more about Small-Group Half-Day Châteaux of Montpellier Wine Tour - Montpellier | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Montpellier/Small-Group-Half-Day-Chateaux-of-Montpe...

The day was very relaxed. After days of going all out on the sightseeing, I was happy to chill and sit back and enjoy my travel companions. We have a great group this year.... I love the diversity of our ages and backgrounds. We each bring something special to the experience and I am gratified to be part of the group. Nobody held my defection from yesterday's dinner as anything bad... in fact many said they would have liked to have gone... to see the light show. My pictures were a real draw.

We had two hours before dinner, so I decided to explore. Needing a little stretching I wandered into Sama yoga to see if I could get in on a class. They were a friendly, accommodating bunch of people and smiled at my muddled French - luckily, I was saved and they could speak English. After that session, I ambled through some beautiful parks and found an English bookshop!
http://lebookshop.jimdo.com/
A English bookshop! How absolutely devine!
"Located in the historic center of Montpellier, we welcome you to visit our English-specialized bookshop to see our wide collection of English and German books, as well as taste our delicious pastries and drinks on our terrace." Just Perfect! "Discover a friendly place that allows you to buy English VO books, accompanied by delicious tea, coffee, fruit juice, cupcakes, scones, brownies, and more. We have a selection of magazines and used books you may read if you would like to read something when you stop in for a snack. This international meeting area has wifi, a shaded patio, and plenty of seating space. If you choose to participate in our activities, you will improve your language skills and meet interesting people. We hope to welcome you soon to our store!"
Can you say Heaven!!!! I restrained my buying, but I may go back if time permits - though they are closed on Sunday. I am sure there will be others to join me.

Having found this little gem, I stayed until the seven o'clock close, then had to rustle to find my way back to meet up with the group for dinner.

Dinner was a fabulous surprise. The food was to die for. I don't know where Lyn found this place, but it was perfect. I loved the quaint atmosphere. Imagine eating Central American/Latin food while in France. The Empanadas Club. Pockets of deliciouness.... and the desserts. Oh my goodness... I had 2! I am going to have to do more than yoga tomorrow.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187153-d6902409-Reviews-Empanadas...

I was revved from the day's adventures and certainly not ready to return to my bed... so I ventured out with some of the group for a bit of nightlife. We went to the Games Taverne. This is very similar to something we have around my city - I love this concept.... being able to play board games and enjoy such with wonderful libations and food. I got to play Blitz. I am so not good at it, but the laughter it generates is worth my ineptitude. It is a fast paced game with two players calling out a word to match the theme of the other person's card. Tic Talk was also a fun word game to play. It was into the wee hours before we ambled toward home. Our laughter echoed in the street.


http://www.gametaverne.fr/#_=_
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187153-d8702727-Reviews-Game_Tave...

By the time I found my bed, I dropped into it and slept well. So glad the next day was not an early one.
Hope you find some awesome photo moments! Tell us about a photo bomb moment you had today!
Lyn wanted a photobomb.... so I found this one. This could happen!
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&...
Goofy guys always want to steal the show!

Border for my personal use.


Blog City – Day 881


The Olympics began August 5th. Did you watch the pageantry and the presentation of the athletes? What did you think? Which country caught your attention the most? What sport do you enjoy most? Which do you like better the Summer or the Winter events?

I watched some of the opening ceremonies. As always, it was quite dramatic and the statement made clear. I love the idea of each athlete planting a seed... starting a forest of universal love... coming together in a way that honours Mother Earth.
I am rooting for Canada, of course. I love our red and whites. I am a proud Canadian. Seeing all the happy faces of all the athletes was moving. Really impressive.
I am more partial to the Winter Olympics, but the summer ones are interesting as well. As for a favourite sport.... not sure.... diving and gymnastics I suppose.

Border for my personal use.


Love Louder - Amplifying My Life

I have decided as part of my blog to comment on each of Preston Smiles's ways to Love Louder. He has written an intriguing little book or 33 Ways To Amplify Your Life. The full title is Love Louder: 33 Ways To Amplify Your Life.

Day 31 – When Nature Calls Go Outside To Play
"There is nothing like being in the palm of nature to remind us how vast, powerful, and majestic our planet is."

I have to agree with that sentiment. God is a creative God.... you can see it in every blade of grass, every hue of the sky. The smells, the tastes, the sights, the feel, the sounds.... all there to kiss your senses. There is nothing overwhelming about nature. It is soothing and revitalizing.... like being grounded in the present, away from the chaos of human cultivation and urbanization. I am able to re-center myself and listen to my inner voice as it breathes in a sigh of relief. "There is something about connecting with nature that fuels creativity and boosts vitality of life." I like to think of it as the hand of God... His presence in everything around me. "Nature will always be the best show on earth." I so agree.

The best things in life are from nature... sitting on a log in a sun dappled forest, listening to birdsong as the breeze dries the sweat from your brow. Eating a juicy peach picked fresh from the orchard. The scent of wild flowers mingled in the breeze. Nature is not silent.... it has its own rhythm and cacophony of sounds that is music to my soul. "We all need time in nature, time to be recharged by the trees, baptized by the seas, suffused by the fragrance of flowers, and reenergized by the air."

"Nature has a way of reminding us how small we really are and yet how we are a piece of the larger whole... our being calls to be surrounded by it." To love louder, Preston says you must "connect back to the source and breathing in all its beauty."

#LOVELOUDERCHALLENGE
Go outside!
"Get a minimum of three times a week to experience the beauty of our spinning blue dot called Earth."


© Copyright 2016 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889363-Day-6---Montpellier-France-Olympics--When-Nature-Calls