*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889874-Verona---Day-13-Virtual-Trip--Weekend-Plans
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#889874 added August 13, 2016 at 12:17pm
Restrictions: None
Verona - Day 13 Virtual Trip & Weekend Plans
30 Day Blogging Challenge

30-Day Blogging Challenge August 2016.

August 13th - Verona, the setting of Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet' - Day tripping from Venice

I managed to get a good sleep last night despite someone snoring across the room.... but hey, I can sleep through anything once I'm out. Lyn's a sly fox had us leaving at 8:00 am so we had plenty of time to make it to our departure point - Piazzale Roma, Venice, Italy. Today was an air conditioned mini bus. We met up at 8:45 AM and left on time at 9:00 AM. All very efficient. Lyn mentioned the trip would be a lot of walking for approximately 9 hours and we'd come back on a train to the Venice Train Station Santa Lucia. Sounded good to me.

I made sure to take my camera, good walking shoes and socks ('cause nobody wants blisters), my sketchbook and a few pens and pencils, sunblock and my hat,of course. I hate wearing a hat, but I refused to be slowed down by sunstroke.

We were off to Verona, the setting of Shakespeare’s ‘Romeo and Juliet,’. Another day to soak up the city’s history, architecture and culture as we checked out castles, churches, frescoes, Gothic landmarks, charming piazzas and Verona’s renowned amphitheater. It was amazing to see the sights related to Romeo and Juliet - I wonder if Shakespeare himself visited here to get the feel of the place as he was writing? We were able to skip the line at the ancient Roman amphitheater, pass by the Verona Duomo and the famed Juliet balcony. We walked along the river past Casa di Romeo.

We stopped to take photos at Colle di San Pietro. The views were amazing! Our guide told us why he thought it was the perfect setting for the world’s greatest romance. We started our tour from the foot of a castle overlooking the town. There were towering spires, strong castle walls, and the river that hugs its curves. Then we walked down into the city. Along the way we stopped off for a skip the line visit to the ancient Roman amphitheatre. It is a 1st century marvel that is one of the greatest amphitheatres in Italy and is also still among the top opera venues in the world. We got to see the Verona Duomo from the outside, and popped into the beautiful Basilica of Saint Anastasia.

Then it was on to the "home of Shakespeare’s Juliet, where, from the outside, you gaze up at the famed balcony where Romeo is said to have done his wooing. There is also a statue of Juliet herself whose breast you can rub for good luck - just make sure Romeo’s not around."

From there we went into the historic center to uncover the real story of the city that served as the colorful backdrop for Shakespeare’s classic. We saw gorgeous plazas, Piazza Bra and Piazza delle Erbe to see the Palazzo Maffei, the Palazzo Barbieri (Town Hall) and the famous Mazzanti Houses whose facades are decorated with beautiful 16th-century frescoes. We also stopped by the Piazza Dante to pay our respects at the statue of Italy’s most famous writer.

At lunch I sampled the risotto and polenta, but I steered clear of the donkey meat!

Following lunch we reconvened and walked along the river past the Casa di Romeo and two very famous arches, the ancient Roman gates of Porta Borsari and the Arco della Costa. We learned about one of most bizarre local legends ever (it involves a pure-hearted person and a dangling whale bone).

We payed our respects at the Scaligeri family tombs - incredible examples of gothic architecture that hold the remains of one of Verona’s most important families. We gazed up at Lamberti tower, and sauntered over the Castelvecchio bridge.

Lyn decided we would have dinner in Verona before taking the train back to Venice. She had us booked into the Ristorante Enoteca Cangrande. After a day of walking and taking in the sights I was only too happy to collapse in a chair and sip some local wine. The meal, as any Itallian meal goes, was fabulous and so was the company.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187871-d1639024-Reviews-Ristorant...

When we arrive back at our abode, Lyn strongly suggests getting packed up this evening as we are leaving early in the morning. I decide I might as well take my shower tonight as well, so that is one less thing I have to worry about it the morning.

Tomorrow we have a 5 hour train hour ride to Vienna. We're taking bag lunches so we can begin our day once we leave our stuff at the next hotel.

Border for my personal use.


Blog City – Day 888

What are your plans for the weekend? Do you do more writing on weekends or weekdays?

Beyond my blogging for my virtual trip through Europe, I am planning to head out to Fergus to the Scottish Highland Games. I hope to see Diana Gabaldon (author of the Outlander series) and hear Albannach play - not your typical pipe music! I heard them last year when I was there and they drew me in....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RscISrpJgow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DF-pIojGME

http://www.albannachmusic.com/
http://www.albannachmusic.com/music/runs-in-the-blood/

I am also going to make sure I make it to the Clan Henderson this year - my original name.

As for writing... in the summer I am able to write everyday. During the school year, must depends on my supply teaching. I am often too tired in the evening to write much so the weekends get more of my time then. I prefer morning writing to afternoon or evening.





© Copyright 2016 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889874-Verona---Day-13-Virtual-Trip--Weekend-Plans