*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889987-Vienna---Day-14-of-my-Virtual-Trip
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#889987 added August 14, 2016 at 11:19pm
Restrictions: None
Vienna - Day 14 of my Virtual Trip
30 Day Blogging Challenge

30-Day Blogging Challenge August 2016.

August 14th - Vienna, Austria
Looks like we are staying at another lovely place... thank goodness for that virtually magic,credit card. I love my bathtub under the window.
http://www.altstadt.at/en/ One of Austria's famous Design Hotels.

Vienna is the capital of Austria. It lies in the country’s east on the Danube River. It has an artistic and intellectual legacy that was shaped by the likes of Mozart, Beethoven and Sigmund Freud. I am a fan of classical music and I majored in Psychology in university... not that I am a fan of Freud, but hey.... The city is also known for its Imperial palaces, including Schönbrunn, and the Habsburgs’ summer residence. In the MuseumsQuartier district, historic and contemporary buildings display works by Egon Schiele, Gustav Klimt and other artists.

http://www.austria.info/uk/where-to-go/cities/vienna

I took today as a day to do what I wanted to do... and I wanted to take in the Kaffeehaus Culture. The setting was "spacious yet intimate, there is plush seating around marble tables, the scrape of traditional Thonet wooden chairs on parquet floors and mirrors reflecting mildly steamy light. Some are furnished with genuine showpieces - time-worn and darkened, they exude an indefinable atmosphere."
The only entrance fee was a cup of coffee. Then I took my seat in an era far removed from daily modern bustle. Once I ordered - be it a kleiner schwarzer, kapuziner, einspänner or melange (and these are just some of the specialities) - I sat back, relaxed and did a little writing and sketching of the world around me. There was a selection of complimentary newspapers, and free free wi-fi. "In certain Kaffeehäuser you can enjoy a game at card and billiard tables dating from monarchic times."

"The Viennese Kaffeehaus is like an extended living room. It is ideal for people who need company to be alone. It is both a stage and a private space. People sense that they are following in a great tradition of leisure and creativity, and love it because it is always reinventing itself. Around 1900 a group of authors went down in history as coffee house literati.They not only socialised in the Kaffeehaus, but used it as their workplace. One of them, Peter Altenberg, wrote the address of his local Kaffeehaus on his visiting card and in return the Café Central has a monument to him. Before writers claimed the Kaffeehaus as their own, composers discovered its charms for themselves. Johann Strauß and his father before him introduced new works here. Even Mozart and Beethoven performed in a Kaffeehaus." How could I not soak up this kind of atmosphere!

I decided to see Vienna by using the hop-on hop-off tour. That way I could get a feel for the city and see many of the high points. I was able to see all of the Austrian capital’s top sites at my own leisurely pace. I got to hear fascinating information about Vienna and its rich history as I soared past all the major landmarks: the Vienna State Opera, Hofburg Palace, Parliament Building, Belvedere Palace, St Stephen's Cathedral and the stunning grounds of the Schonbrunn Palace.
Experience Austria’s rich musical heritage with a performance from the Vienna Mozart Orchestra at the Vienna State Opera. Take your seat in the historic venue and travel back to the 18th century, as the orchestra performs Mozart’s famous works while dressed in period costumes. Upgrade to a VIP ticket to include a gourmet dinner, a Fiaker carriage ride to the concert, the chance to meet the performers backstage and more.

Read more about Vienna City Hop-on Hop-off Tour - Vienna | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Vienna/Vienna-City-Hop-on-Hop-off-Tour/d454-3585AT0...

I decided get off and go to the Sigmund Freud Museum. I was curious about the man and his life here. It has been 160 years since his birth. It was intriguing.

I decided to defect from dinner, sorry guys and dolls, but this is Vienna and I wanted to experience Austria’s rich musical heritage with a performance from the Vienna Mozart Orchestra at the Vienna State Opera. I took my seat in the historic venue and traveled back to the 18th century, as the orchestra performs Mozart’s famous works while dressed in period costumes. I even upgraded to a VIP ticket so that I could enjoy a gourmet dinner, a Fiaker carriage ride to the concert, the chance to meet the performers backstage and more. Four hours of bliss... back in time.

Read more about Vienna State Opera House Mozart Concert in Historical Costumes - Vienna | Viator at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Vienna/Vienna-State-Opera-House-Mozart-Concert-in-H...

I am not sure what is on for tomorrow, but I was not ready to call it a night. I managed to find a lovely coffee house to relax out for another hour or so.



© Copyright 2016 đź’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
đź’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889987-Vienna---Day-14-of-my-Virtual-Trip