*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893001-Sunday-News---Word-On-The-Street--Our-Knowlegde
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#893001 added September 26, 2016 at 8:46pm
Restrictions: None
Sunday News - Word On The Street & Our Knowlegde
30 Day Blogging Challenge

The Sunday News! Sorry for the late prompt...had some computer issues late last night while trying to send it out, so instead...
Pick a weird, funny, or interesting story from your local news and share it with us. Tell us how it makes you feel, what you think about it, or share a relatable story from your own life.


This got posted after 11:30 yesterday morning and I had already left on my adventure to Toronto to go to the Word On The Street Festival. I had a blast, by the way.... and got home too late and too tired to do my blog.

The Word On The Street is a news story - each year the last weekend of September Canada puts on these free book and magazine festivals. Toronto is the longest running of these. This was its 26th or 27th year. I went there this year because the Kitchener one that ran for 15 years was done away with - some idiot moved it into City Hall and spread it out too much for it to be a family event - they also changed the day to Saturday instead of the usual Sunday. Essentially, they killed it.

Toronto's Festival was down at Harbourfront and it was fabulous! It was from 11 am until 6 pm and I did not see everything. I only sat in on one panel of Geek Women and one very cool youth Bam! Poetry Slam - the last guy brought me to tears with his words - a young black man telling the tale of his younger 5 year old brother who does not think he can be a prince because his skin is the 'wrong shade'.... the poet goes on to say his little brother can be anything... and should be, without being distinguished by colour. It was so moving. His name was Josh 'Scribe' Watkis... he is impressive!





Here is a few of the newpaper articles:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/photos/word-on-the-street-attracts-top-chi...
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/09/27/authors-mobbed-by-crowds-at-word-on-...
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/09/21/words_from_the_street_lets_the_downt...


30 Day Blogging Challenge - Monday

Motivational Monday!
Author T.S. Eliot, born on this day in 1888, once opined, "Where is all the knowledge we lost with information?" What do you think about that? Is it possible now, in this age of information so readily available at our fingertips, that we can have access to too much information at once, and not be able to gather as much from it? Are we ever at risk of knowing too much for our own good? And how much do you think is enough (versus too much) when it comes to your own writing?


We have too much access to information and some people assume if it is on the internet it is accurate - that is not always the case. I think we need to be even more vigilant about what we read and believe. Believing something not true messes with our knowledge base....

I also found when I graduated from university that I realized that I knew less than the whole world had to offer. It was very enlightening to know that the more you know, the less you realize that you really know. Does that make any sense?

It's like being given a key as a gift for your hard work studying and learning.... and when you open that door you see a vastness you can't possibly learn in a hundred lifetimes.

My knowledge and opinion count, but they are only an infinitesimal amount of what is out there. That is important to remember so that you don't get too big for your britches.

© Copyright 2016 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/893001-Sunday-News---Word-On-The-Street--Our-Knowlegde