*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897705-Ill-Pencil-You-In
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#897705 added November 16, 2016 at 8:32pm
Restrictions: None
I'll Pencil You In...
PROMPT: War Chest Wednesday! What Lo-Fi, non-electronic, or old school things from the past do you still enjoy today?
         Gee willikers, where do I begin? Fishing for age clues, generational gulfs, er, um, I mean gaps are we? Yes, Timmy there once was a life before batteries; before bells, whistles, and bright beeping lights. Communication could not be immediate unless a landline telephone accepted a call. There are a few of these dinosaurs lurking, tethered to a kitchen wall. But they too subsisted on electrical power, so, I digress. The communication I speak of consisted of putting pen, or pencil to paper , and manoeuvering the hand in swirls and squiggles known as handwriting. The purpose of this was to share news, greetings, jokes, and tidings in a missive, or letter. Usually, if a letter was mailed, a reply was anticipated, and this took time, meaning one had to wait. Back then mailboxes were not stuffed with flyers. They sheltered real mail of letters, bills, and packages; packages were the ultimate. Yep, I still pen snail-mail letters, and postcards. Now, I'm not advocating pigeon carriers, but mail carriers of the person variety.
         So, I still enjoy pencils and paper, the two make a dynamic duo. Sometimes ,when I am between letters, I cannot resist doodling, or sketching. Attempting to transfer this action to a computer screen via a mouse, or a stick-thingy isn't the same. My artwork is not in danger of winning admirers, or awards, but online it resembles a child's scribbles. I prefer creating with my lead-stick, and not the mechanical sort. Who invented those, and put them forth as a good idea? The lead is sensitive, and prone to breakage. I prefer a pencil that is sharpened by a handy-dandy handheld device known as a sharpener. You'd like this gadget, Timmy. Twisting and pushing results in a satisfying point. Yep, you can poke holes with it.
         Just today, I learned of a new application for a pointy pencil, and it's one I'd never considered. Apparently, holes may be poked into drywall. I know, radical, eh? Oh, that reminds me, pencils will mark almost anything, not just paper. They also make a handy splint should you ever snap a finger. And pencils may be twirled around the fingers when you're bored, or thinking deeply. Listening to music, a set of pencils doubles as drum sticks. If you dare to cohabitate with a cat, he/she will most likely bat your pencils about the house, they roll and scatter satisfyingly. Oh, Timmy this is a useful tip, so try not to forget it. If you should ever be forced to endure the stifling torture of a plaster cast encasing one of your limbs, you will experience the most persistent itching, an itching that may be eased by scratching with a pencil. Just don't lose your grip on it. And I personally do not endorse chewing on a pencil though some develop this habit.
         Did I mention that pencils are not simply black, or grey? They flourish in the many colours of the rainbow. You do not need to add water such as paint requires, and they do not melt in heat like crayons. Timmy, it is possible to have your name inscribed on a pencil, or a cartoon figure, or anything. I myself currently use SpongeBob pencils. There's one other important thing. Pencils are forgiving. If you decide to edit, or move a line, the pencil's trail may be erased. Genius! Sigh... At one time, Timmy, people would book appointments by promising "to pencil you in."

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/897705-Ill-Pencil-You-In