*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901967-JAN-12--Portfolio-Tour
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2101444
A brief discussion of my experiences with being a Rising Star Nominee.
#901967 added January 12, 2017 at 9:00am
Restrictions: None
JAN 12--Portfolio Tour
Prompt: I just spent the bulk of the evening reorganizing my WDC portfolio a little bit. I do it maybe once or twice a year. How often do you organize yours? How do you have yours set up? Are your folders arranged in any specific order? Guide us on a virtual walking tour of your port.

Well, I've not even been here for a year, so I'm not EXACTLY sure how often I reorganize my portfolio, but I have already done it 2-3 times in 7 1/2 months. Of course, part of that it because I continue to learn how to do so and to do so in better ways.

I finally set up those highlighted items at the top of my portfolio. I'm pretty proud. lol Of course, currently only 1 has a pic, but we can't have everything. I also just relearned how to put stuff in folders when it's already made. For some reason I couldn't seem to figure it out after struggling to figure it out before. *Pthb* So annoying. Most of my stuff is in folders and all of my folders now have a cover image. However, when you open them, almost nothing does...except in my Rising Star folder where I was required to have them. lol I have nearly 150 items. That's a LOT of cover images to come up with! Plus, I hate that it thinks I've worked on recently just because I add a cover image, so I can't just look at the last date it was updated and know if I've already reworked a piece.

My folders aren't set up in any real particular order. I just start with Short Stories, then Poems, then non-fiction, etc. Nothing exciting. I do have a "Lists, Plans, and Ideas" folder where I keep things like a list of all of the contests on here and whether I've entered them. I also have an explanation of and Bible verses for a Bible quilt I'd like to one day make. This folder also contains my 2017 Dear Me letter and a list of stories I might want to write about regarding Iraq.

I suppose, if I get hard core one day, I could order stuff in my portfolios by word count...especially in my short story folder. But before I commit to that, I should totally finish putting cover images on everything! lol

WHEW! No views yet! *Laugh* I TOTALLY forgot to mention what I think is one of the best parts of my port...or really of my pieces. I include at the top of most of them, what I wrote them for, what the prompt was, and if they won if it was a competition. I put all of that in gray at the top so folks know it's not an actual part of the piece. I had someone say it was bad because it counts against my word count, but I just subtract the number of words in that part from my total and post that between the gray part and the beginning of my piece (or sometimes at the end if that's what the rules say). It's never been held against me...as far as I know. lol Also, when writing for a competition, I make a link back to the competition. And if I win, I make a link back to the announcement post, as well as say so in the gray area.

I picked up this idea from someone's piece when I was a newbie and I thought a lot of people did it. However, I see that's not the case. I think more folks should. It gives a chance to give any background info on the piece, plus explains why you might have used some weird words (prompt requirement). And who doesn't want to brag that they won? *Bigsmile* Except that I forgot to make Game of Thrones a link on this one, here's an example of what I'm talking about. "Magic Pie Just a thought, but I think MORE folks should do this! *Bigsmile*




** Image ID #2100707 Unavailable ** Signature for nominees of the 10th annual Quill Awards

© Copyright 2017 Schnujo is Late to Lannister (UN: schnujo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Schnujo is Late to Lannister has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/901967-JAN-12--Portfolio-Tour