*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904677-Susan-B-Anthony-American-Hero
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#904677 added February 15, 2017 at 1:16am
Restrictions: None
Susan B. Anthony American Hero
"Susan B. Anthony American Hero

Group signature.

Just what it says

** Image ID #2110407 Unavailable **

The 30 DBC prompt for February 15, 2017 is "Susan B. Anthony , who was born on this day back in 1820, once said, "Forget conventionalisms; forget what the world thinks of you stepping out of your place; think your best thoughts, speak your best words, work your best works, looking to your own conscience for approval." Take apart her quote; what does each part mean to you? How does it motivate you to do the things you want to do and the things you love to do? Do her words still matter, some 150+ years later? And how important is approval or validation of your work, be it in writing, or in your day-to-day life?"

Susan B. Anthony is a hero to me. I have known many very capable women who have been denied positions they deserved. Personally I believe we would have had a woman president right now if it wasn't for Russian hackers changing votes but that will never be proven. I hope a woman runs next time.

"Forget conventionalisms:" While that isn't even a word I understand her meaning. All too often we are stuck in conventional thinking and old ways of doing things. Change is natural so let's go with it.

"Forget what the world thinks of you stepping out of your place:" Personally I don't give a rip what the world or any person in it thinks of me. What counts to me is Jesus' opinion of me. I won't break any laws because most laws are quoted and based on God's word. However there is only one person whose opinion ultimately matters. Gods!

"Think your best thoughts:" I agree again. My best thoughts are pure and righteous. They are thoughts of love, acceptance, peace, joy, patience, kindness, mercy, and godliness, most of which are found in the list of the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 6. These thought keep my feet on the right path.

"Speak your best words:" I agree again because I honestly believe that words have the power to kill. The New Testament writer James said that words could start a forest fire and that the tongue was like a rudder, a small thing that guides a whole ship. I know it was words that led to the fall of man and words that got Jesus crucified. So words can be damaging. I read a poster in a church that spoke volumes. I have no idea who the author was. It said "It is better to leave some words unspoken than to mend the heart those words have broken."

"Work your best works:" Again I agree. I was brought up with a work ethic that you give 200% effort into whatever you are doing. I was taught that hard work would never kill me. Nobody had ever died from exhaustion unless they were sick to begin with. I am proud to say that I had a young kid 30 years my junior beg me to slow down this past summer because he couldn't keep up with me. I embarrassed him so badly he faked an injury to stop working. My mother and father would have beamed with pride about that one.

"Looking to your own conscience for approval:" I'm a little skeptical on that one. I look to God for approval. However my conscience does often tell me or remind me that something I've done is a violation of God's word.

How does this quote motivate me to do the things I want to do and love to do? It reminds me that people who don't go in for conventional ways of doing things but rather want to be seen as peculiar people are often doing God's will. I don't want to preach here but God commands His people to be different and separate from worldly ways. I have a woman filling my off-site email with pictures of herself stating bluntly that she's a hooker. I'm not interested thank you and listed it as spam but she still sends it. So now I simply delete it.

Do Susan's words still matter 150+ years later? Yes I believe they do. Look around. Women are still struggling to be treated equally. I don't condone sexual promiscuity but if a man has sex with two women he's a conquering hero. If a woman has sex with two men she's a slut. If a man gets a big promotion it's because he worked his way to the top. If a woman gets one she "slept her way to the top."

So yes Susan's cause is very much alive today.

How important are approval and validation of my work? I'd say they are important. Everybody likes a pat on the back, especially when you put forth 200% effort. My heart goes into my writing so it's nice to have somebody comment on it, even if the comment is negative. It lets me know it was read and that's why I write it to begin with.

218143218143

© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904677-Susan-B-Anthony-American-Hero