*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904825-Im-Gonna-Burn-BurnBurn-Into-The-Wind-Rising-Coal-Dust
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#904825 added February 16, 2017 at 7:56pm
Restrictions: None
I'm Gonna Burn, Burn,Burn Into The Wind/ Rising Coal Dust
PROMPT: We've all got them... what are some of your favourite misheard song lyrics? Those words and lines you swear are/were the truth... Until someone else set you straight with the facts ( and probably the lyric booklet that came with the album/tape/CD).
         So, just how innocent is this most recent prompt? Nostalgia not withstanding, if I mention certain song lyrics of a certain era/year I will be revealing/hinting my age... won't I? Am I being asked to provide pertinent clues? This could become a game of Name-That-Song's-Decade... Meh, why don't I just save everyone all the bother of unnecessary brain drain, and come clean. I am remembering the now-known-as-classics of the 70's, yes, the 1970's. And, yes, I do know what a "lyric booklet" is...
          To refresh my still stellar memories, I consulted YouTube. Whoa, the hair was big in the 70's, and so were the shoulder pads. Who decided rockers should imitate linebackers? Is there a hair stylist who proudly lays claim to that layered cut my kids refer to as the 'mullet'? Sorry, the videos brought it all back... I was sidetracked...
         Yep, misheard song lyrics are unintentionally funny. Sometimes, it's the lack of enunciation on the part of the singer that creates the confusion. Often the music drowns out the words, the booming bass reverberates. Whatever the excuse, I have belted out utter nonsense. Even listening today, I couldn't catch all the correct lyrics to several Heart epics. Some things still elude me...
         'Barracuda' still trips me up. I hear and sing "burn into the wind", but the actual words are "you gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, burn to the wick." Huh, the whole burning in the wind kinda made sense to me. Doesn't fire need oxygen, and I never got the sense that a flaming candle was described. I dunno, the powerful beat of the music seemed to suggest a person running while on fire, and not stopping, dropping, and rolling.
          Er, um, also from that tune, I thought Heart sang " you met the purpose in me", but, clearly, I now hear that she sings "porpoise". Neither makes sense to me, but what do I know? Did I even realize what a barracuda was in the 70's?
          Here's another Heart offering, 'Magic Man.' The actual lyrics are : " Come on home girl he said with a smile, you don't have to love me yet, let's get high awhile." Strange, I never heard the 'yet', and I coulda swore it was "unless you got a while." You know casual sex, and all. Oh, how naïve of me, drugs were mentioned!
          Another Heart song 'Dreamboat Annie' seems to have different dialogue... I sing, " Heading out going to be bad for a while." Hey, it seemed plausible, bad girl rocker, rebellion... Sheesh, it's actually, " Heading out to somewhere won't be back for a while." Who hasn't promised this to their mother?
          It's sad, but true. Somehow, I've misheard the words to Eagles' 'Hotel California'. I know, I know... it's inconceivable! " On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair, Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air." Hey, hold up, what's a "colita"? Is it supposed to be warm? I was so sure it was "coal dust". Hey, deserts are dusty... I confess, I also messed up another line... I sang, "Her mind is tricky twisted, she got the last eighty cents." Hello, boy, am I mistaken! Where ever did I get the idea of "eighty cents"? It is an exact number... Okay, the Eagles sang their version as this: " Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends." Hmm, why didn't I hear " Mercedes Benz"? Yeah, something was twisted, all right...
          Here's a little piece I wrote about my grand daughter mishearing song lyrics...
I Don't Want To Be Married!  (E)
My 5-year old granddaughter experiences her first Girl Guide camp.
#2082936 by SandraLynn Team Florent!

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/904825-Im-Gonna-Burn-BurnBurn-Into-The-Wind-Rising-Coal-Dust