*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908810-A-Gentle-Gleam
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#908810 added April 10, 2017 at 9:29pm
Restrictions: None
A Gentle Gleam
Blog City - Day 1123

Prompt Tolstoy tells us writers to β€œshine with a gentle gleam.” What do you think that gentle gleam is and how can it be applied to writing? Just guess if you are not familiar with Tolstoy.

I am thinking that he is saying shine a light on life, but do it in a way that illuminates in a gentle way and not a glaring way. Anna Karenina was about a woman being unfaithful and how that affected the lives of all of those around her. It is not meant to be judgemental or preachy. It is meant to cast a light and reflect on the ways of life and what can happen in that kind of situation.

When we write, we are to do the same... illuminate life without judgement or criticism. Paint the canvas large and luminous so that it reflects all that can be seen and understood in the world as we see it.

The definition of gleam is:
As a verb - to shine brightly, especially with reflected light.
As a noun - a faint or brief light, especially one reflected from something.

We are essentially illuminating on it as we reflect of the situation we are writing about.

© Copyright 2017 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908810-A-Gentle-Gleam