*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910245-Motivational-Monday-It-Masks-May-Day-or-Loyalty-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #1806613
The Saga of Prosperous Snow Continues
#910245 added May 1, 2017 at 4:13pm
Restrictions: None
Motivational Monday. It, Masks, May Day or Loyalty Day
Monday, May 1, 2017

A good beginning
to a glorious new month
sunshine and flowers

Motivational Monday! "A lot of it starts with playing instruments and working with other people...some of the new generation is doing it on computers and they don't have a clue as to how to play anything." -Musician Ray Parker Jr.  , born on this day in 1954. How does "it" start for you, whatever "it" is?

What is "it"?

It is the silence
surrounding the tranquil soul:
the spirit of faith.


As I contemplate the question of it, I think back across the years to the different connotations attached to the word. For such a little word. Each individual applies different undercurrents to the words they speak and hear. It is one of those words that has different and complex overtones or undertones depending upon the speaker and the listener. What it suggest to me at 70 is different then what the word suggested at 20 or 30. It also has different implications with different tones of voice.

The "Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise prompt for Day 1144
If a mask can make a person more obvious, why do people even wear masks, be it those masks may be psychological, social, or physical? In addition, do you let the characters you create in your writing wear a mask of any kind?

Masks

Masks conceal,
hide the authentic self
and emotions
from the world.


The "Blogging Circle of Friends for DAY 1628
There are four special, bizarre or unique Holidays celebrated on May 1. These holidays are May Day (world wide), Loyalty Day (official USA holiday), Mother Goose Day, and Save the Rhino Day. Chose one of this holidays and write a story, poem, or something else about it.

May Day or Loyalty Day

It's interesting that Loyalty Day is an official US holiday because I don't remember ever celebrating it. My research indicates that every president going back to Eisenhower has proclaimed May 1 as Loyalty Day.1 Once source suggests that Loyalty Day was first celebrated in the 1920s, but it was Congress who signed it into law in 19582 and then on May 1, 1959 President Eisenhower released a proclaimation.3 The reason for this has something to do with the fact that May Day was a Communist holiday.


As I said, I don't remember ever celebrating Loyalty Day nor do I remember any of the presidential proclamations concerning this day. My memories of May Day concerns dancing around a Maypole or helping my Grandmother make crepe paper flowers. Grandma always put crepe paper flowers on the graves on Memorial Day. She begin making those flowers on May 1 every year.

Footnotes
1  http://www.npr.org/2017/05/01/526384758/trump-proclaims-may-1-loyalty-day-so-did...
2  Public Law 85-529
3  http://holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/May/loyaltyday.htm


© Copyright 2017 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910245-Motivational-Monday-It-Masks-May-Day-or-Loyalty-Day