*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914265-History---Writing-is-a-Way-of-Getting-Rid-of-the-Past
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#914265 added June 27, 2017 at 10:07pm
Restrictions: None
History - Writing is a Way of Getting Rid of the Past
Blog City - Day 1200

Prompt β€œHistory-writing is a way of getting rid of the past.” Goethe
What is Goethe trying to say here, and what do you think of history and historical fiction?


I have also heard that history is written by the victors. I am not sure who said that, but it means that the events are coloured by whoever is telling the tale.... there perspective is highlighted and they are making themselves look good. They are also making the other side look bad.... maybe even worse than they really were - who knows.

So given that, I would say that Goethe is making the point that once history is written and the actual events fade into the background, we never really know the true facts as they happened because we did not experience them first hand.

In writing the past, you can embellish and discount anything you, as the writer, see fit to do. It is your interpretation of the situation. Since we each have our own interpretation, do we really know what actually happened.... perhaps not.

Given this information we must remember to read all events with a critical eye. Do not take anything at face value, unless you have been able to read several similar accounts from writers with different perspectives. That way you get a fuller picture of what might have happened. This goes to say for historical reports, but also with the daily news. Technology may make things more accessible to each of us, but I think we need to be even more vigilant when it comes to considering what we believe and what we think is just fog and mirrors. Don't believe everything you read.

When it comes to historical fiction, I am drawn to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series... which is now a TV series. The events are told from the Scottish point of view, which I am sure differs a great deal from the British. Seeing the battle of Culloden told from that point of view makes me despise my English roots, but it also makes me remember - there are two sides to every conflict - and one must remember it is our history and each side has its strengths and weaknesses.

© Copyright 2017 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914265-History---Writing-is-a-Way-of-Getting-Rid-of-the-Past