*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916866-Virtually-Yours---Day-5---Georgetown-Guyana
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#916866 added August 6, 2017 at 11:24am
Restrictions: None
Virtually Yours - Day 5 - Georgetown, Guyana
Backpacking S. America.

Blogging Challenge - Day 5 - Guyana

Aug. 5th We’ll be leaving at 6:00 am and flying to Guyana. Our lodging looks really nice but a bit on the pricey side.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294078-d7143305-Reviews-Guyana_Marriot...
We will be seeing a multiple of things, but please be aware of the danger of being by one’s self.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294078-d315738-Reviews-St_George_...
This 43-meter high Gothic cathedral was built in 1842.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294078-d3210784-Reviews-Promenade...
This garden is well kept and is a good place to visit in Georgetown. Guyana. There is no entrance fee. It has a beautiful statue of Mahatma Gandhi.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294078-d3317948-Reviews-Georgetow...
We’ll be grabbing food along the way, snacks and drinks because dinner is going to be so worth the calories.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294078-d4784038-Reviews-Aagman_Re...



Are you having fun? Most definitely!!!

Today was a seriously early start. A 6 am flight to Guyana. Lyn's a sly fox had booked us into a more pricey hotel and I wavered on staying or catching up with KÃ¥re Enga in Montana who decided to opt for a hostel or a guest house. The beauty of the place kept me where I was but I also hoped KÃ¥re Enga in Montana would be okay on her own. Since Guyana had remained a British colony until it finally gained its independence in 1966 and it remains South America's only English-speaking country, I figured she would be okay.

The views from the hotel were breathtaking particularly when looking out toward the ocean. I was itching to walk along the sandy shore, but I restrained myself.... for the time being as Lyn had us going full speed ahead for the day.

Our first stop was to the Georgetown St. George's Cathedral. Oh my! It is a 43-meter high Gothic cathedral that was built in 1842. The architecture was stunning - despite the renovations. It has been described by the Architects' Journal (10 July, 1985) as "the largest wooden church building in the world". I had to keep reminding myself to close my mouth and breathe. I took plenty of photographs, but I also took some time to just sit and soak up the atmosphere - reverent awe. Imagine the acoustics in a place like this. I couldn't help letting out a few notes just to test it. Divine.

From there we headed to the Promenade Gardens. Another little piece of heaven. The Buttress Roots were a sight to see, though at night I am sure they could come alive and swallow a man! A few of us managed to crawl up into them and perch for photos. Talk about hugging a tree. Someone was even crazy enough to put a pair of glasses on Gandhi! He looked pretty good. *Bigsmile* This was a lovely place for a picnic. I found a cafe, The Coffee Bean, which was not too far from the Gardens and many of us grabbed a bit of food and took it back to sit among the trees. I was in need of caffeine and I am sure a few of us were as well. It was hard to believe we were in the city when we sat down and had our little picnic.

With new vigour, we were able to continue back to the Lighthouse... and yes, I made the climb to the top. I so wanted to see the views and wave to my fellow travellers who were not able to make the climb... a whomping 138 stairs. My legs were feeling it by the time I reached the top!

Dinner was to be at an Indian Restaurant, the Aagman. since we weren't going until later I decided to take a stroll out by the ocean. I managed to convince some of my fellow travelers to come with me and we all splashed around and had a blast playing along the water's edge. It was not the cleanest beach I had ever seen and decided I would prefer to swim in the pool later.

The restaurant was very colourful in decor. I was not too sure what to expect and I was grateful when someone suggested we all try a little of everything. That I was willing to do. I did not want to buy a single entree and find I did not care for it. Some of it was very good.

Having been a long day, I decided to take a dip in the pool and head to bed before it got too late. I slept well.



© Copyright 2017 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/916866-Virtually-Yours---Day-5---Georgetown-Guyana