*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930370-Houston-We-Aint-Got-A-Problem
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#930370 added March 10, 2018 at 7:21pm
Restrictions: None
Houston, We Ain't Got A Problem
Date: Week of March 5 th


Locale:  Houston, Texas


         This trip was one I decided to drive, instead of fly.  It's late winter, at least for me, and I knew it would be warmer in the south than here in Illinois.  So I drove.  Nice drive, I know I drove a little close to a few WDC members, maybe even passing through towns some live in!  I can think of LegendaryMask❤️   in Alabama (I drove through Mississippi getting there), and Angus (I drove through East Texas going home).


         The weather really cooperated while I was there, with daytime highs in the low 70's.  That was a welcome change from the 20's and 30's of Illinois, or the single digit temperatures I experienced in North Dakota!  This area of the country has seen a lot of rain in the last few weeks, it was easy to see the result of it.  I saw flooded areas, houses with what seemed to be lakes right at their doorsteps, but the roads were clear!

         The class this week was on a small device called a 'Comparator'.  This device is used in a system where multiple towers might receive the same call from one radio.  This signal is sent to a 'Prime Site', but it can't re-broadcast the two signals, it can only broadcast one.  So this Comparator will compare the two signals, and send the one with the best audio quality out for re-tranasmission.  Simple device really, no parts that can be serviced by technicians, and very reliable.  But most technicians don't understand how this particular one works, how to configure it, etc.  So the class was all about their efforts in that regard.  The class went well, was well received, and a lot of information was exchanged, as well as the class as a whole discovering some of the cabling was incorrectly wired.  However, now they know what to do and how to correct these minor issues.  *Smile*


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Catfish Kettle          http://catfishkettle.com/menu/  I found this little gem of a restaurant in Farmington, Missouri.  Their menu was pretty basic, but the food was excellent!  Everything is served family style, with sides of your choice.  They had about 8-9 sides to choose from, so I chose fried okra, cucumber salad, and coleslaw.  The catfish was fried perfectly, as was the chicken and shrimp.


         Good Eats Grill          http://www.goodeatsgrill.com/    I was pretty tired when I arrived in Houston, and didn't want to go out too far.  This was close to my hotel, and the menu looked good.  I was a bit thrown off when I walked in because they were a little busy, but there was no host around, and those who did see me seemed to ignore me.  However, one of the male servers seated me, and was just outstanding in his service.  So much so that he changed my mind and attitude about the place.  Very good food, but excellent service from Carlos!


Historic/Interesting Places Visited:

         Vicksburg Military Park          https://www.nps.gov/vick/index.htm    Vicksburg was vital to victory for both sides in the American Civil War.  The city was fortified with many forts on the Mississippi River and the general area, with 170 cannons protecting the city proper.  The Union laid siege to the city for 47 days in 1863, culminating in the Union capturing the city on July 4th when the Confederate Army surrendered to General Grant.  The Military park is a beautiful, but somber reminder of a time in our nation when brother fought brother. 

In Closing
         I am home for the weekend, but fly out tomorrow for my next class.  Winter is here full force, y'all stay warm.  Down under, it's the heat of Summer.  Stay cool!  Whatever you do, keep writing!

© Copyright 2018 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930370-Houston-We-Aint-Got-A-Problem