*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930872-Kickin-Back-In-Kingston--Ontario-not-Jamaica
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#930872 added March 18, 2018 at 6:06am
Restrictions: None
Kickin' Back In Kingston (Ontario, not Jamaica)
Date: Week of March 12th


Locale:  Kingston, Ontario, Canada


         This week found me in Kingston, Ontario, once again teaching in a Prison.  The facility was the Bath-Millhaven facility, composed of two separate prisons sitting side by side.  One is a medium security facility, the other a high securityfacility. I was actually in the prison itself this time, the medium security one.  The course itself was a tailored course we created five years ago for this customer.  I was (AM) proud of the small training system used in this course; I built it with no drawings to refer to, about a month before the initial delivery of this course.  Only four students, but things went well and they were very pleased with what they learned.  A variety of subjects were covered, but at a high level.  They won't be doing much maintenance on the system, so they didn't need all the nitty-gritty details/knowledge we cover in most classes.  Radio programming/configuration for two different models of radio was covered, along with system operation, console configuration and maintenance, and three separate 1 hour classes on Friday for their dispatchers.


         It started snowing on Monday while class was going on, and continued almost the entire time  I was there.  The temperature was right at freezing though, so though the ground was covered, it never amounted to much due to melting during the day.

         Kingston is a beautiful town, my hotel was on the waterfront, but my window faced another building.  So no view of the water at all.  Kingston sits on the north side of Lake Ontario, right at the beginning of the St. Lawrence Seaway.  Sadly, I didn't get to see much of that due to working, but I did see a good portion of the city and surrounding area.  Bath-Millhaven is about a 30 minute drive from Kingston, but you get to see quite a bit of the lake and shoreline getting there.  I was in heaven!

         One night, I dined at Dianne's Fish Shack, and while looking at their beer menu, I noticed they had a local beer from the McKinnon Brothers brewery in Bath.  You know I had to order that!  *Smile*  After I ordered it, the man sitting next to me (we were at the bar), turned to me and said, "A man after my own heart.  Hi, I'm Mike McKinnon.  I'm the father of the two men who run that brewery."  Needless to say, we struck up a conversation and had a good time chatting.


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Dianne's Fishshack & Smokehouse          http://www.dianneskingston.com/  Everything you could want in a good seafood meal is here.  So good, I went there twice.  They have a seafood Charcuterie that is very good.  Tuna Tartare, Trout Pate, and Smoked Salmon.  Yummmm!


Photo's From Visit:


Shoal Tower Viewed Through The Kingston Fountain


Snowy Morning 3/13/18, Shore of Lake Ontario, Kingston Ontario


Snowing Hard In The Afternoon 3/13/18 Kingston Ontario



In Closing
         I am home for tonight, but fly out tomorrow for my next class.  Spring is on the horizon!  At least that's what they tell me.  It's still far too cold if you ask me, but not as bad as it could be.    Keep writing & Reviewing, and enjoy life!




Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2018 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/930872-Kickin-Back-In-Kingston--Ontario-not-Jamaica