*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/933560-Lewis-County-Washington
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#933560 added May 26, 2018 at 7:19pm
Restrictions: None
Lewis County, Washington
Date: Week of April 23rd


Locale:  Chehalis, Washington


         After being 'forced' to not deliver a class for a week, and spending a week in Schaumburg delivering a resident class, I somehow managed to be scheduled for a week in Washington!  Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love the Puget Sound area; Chehalis is in the south, not really part of the Seattle Metro area, nor even part of the Puget Sound area.  But I still flew in to Seattle to spend a little 'me' time seeing a place I'd never been to.


         I arrived in Seattle on Friday afternoon, and spent Friday night up in Everett.  Dinner at Anthony's Homeport started the week off on an excellent point!  On Saturday morning, I took a hour long Ferry ride from Anacortes to San Juan Island!  Despite living in the Puget Sound region for 10 years, this was a place I'd never visited.  I spent the day exploring the island and having dinner before having a quiet evening at a local Bed & Breakfast.  During my drive around the island, I found the San Juan Islands Sculpture Park, a large outdoor area containing about 150 sculptures!  Some were astounding, all were beautiful.  I also visiting a Lighthouse on the islands Southeast corner, and managed to snap a few photo's of a mother Fox who had just caught a rabbit to beed her young kit.  Sunday I visited a Lavender Farm before heading back to Friday Harbor to catch the Ferry back to Anacortes.  Sadly, I missed my scheduled ferry ( I arrived 28 minutes early, but they have a strict rule about being there 30 minutes prior to departure, so I was placed in the 'standby' line).  There wasn't enough room for me on that ferry, so I had to wait for a later Ferry.  Not much I could do, so I sat and waited... and waited...


         I went to Chehalis, which is south of Olympia, and spent most of Monday driving around.  I managed to get within a few miles of both Mount Rainier, and Mount St. Helens!  Both are awesome to see up close.  I wanted to get closer, but to be honest, it would have taken almost 4 hours just to get to the base of one of them, so I settled for seeing both from a distance.  Besides, it's not like I was going to climb either one....  *Smile*


         The class went quite well, and I may get invited here again for another class they need.  Only time will tell on that one.  I loved the area near Chehalis.  You are about an hour south of the Seattle-Tacoma Metro area, and an hour north of the Portland Oregon Metro area.  But Chehalis itself is pretty rural, and appeals a lot to me.  Sadly, I can't live here, my allergies will not allow that.  Itchy eyes, sinus's that just won't dry up, a constant cough, and more that last for about 9-10 months of the year.  There's not an allergy medicine out there now that will alleviate those symptoms.  So, I live away, and treasure my time here.  I can tell it's time to leave though, my eyes have been itching the last couple of days!


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Anthony's Homeport          https://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/detail/anthonys-homeport-everett/  This is one of the nicest restuarants I've been to recently, a little 'above' my normal style.  I prefer a homey place, laid back, and not formal at all.  Anthony's is not formal by any means, but it is a cut above my normal style.  The food is excellent, and of course, the service is also.  Their Baked Dungeness Crab, Shrimp & Artichoke Dip has to be tried to really appreciate it, and their Chop Chop Seafood Salad is scrumptious!


         Cask & Schooner          http://www.caskandschooner.com/menu  This place is really more my style, relaxed, laid back, but excellent all around.  Their Fish n Chips are some of the best I've ever had.  Thick cut of Cod, perfectly battered and fried.  A little greasy, but not too gooey like Fish n Chips can be when not properly prepared.


         Duke's Chowder House          https://www.dukesseafood.com/menus/dinner-menu/  Duke's is a place you can dine at, and enjoy outstanding Seafood, as well as a laid back atmosphere.  It's a little pricey, but well worth it if you ask me.  Their Dungeness Crab Stuffed Halibut is so moist, so tender, and just perfect!


Photo's From Visit:


Roche Harbor Resort Marina

 
Dragonfly Totem At San Juan Islands Sculpture Park


Shark Fin Seen Through The Arch


Wavy Blue Wands


Mount Rainier

 
Mount St. Helens



Historic/Interesting Places Visited:

         San Juan Sculpture Park          http://sjisculpturepark.com/  Approximately 150 Sculptures from numerous artists adorn the grounds of this park.  It's generally free to the public, but they do ask for donations.  A $5 donation is well worth an hour or two of roaming the area admiring the objects.  This was a great way to spend a sunny April afternoon!



In Closing
         I will spend next week in Lansing Michigan.  I was there last year delivering two classes on the same piece of equipment; they want more of the same this year for other technicians who could not attend last years classes.



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2018 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/933560-Lewis-County-Washington