*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935321-Sauntering-Around-Salisbury-and-other-places
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#935321 added May 26, 2018 at 9:21pm
Restrictions: None
Sauntering Around Salisbury, and other places
Date: Week of May 21st


Locale:  Salisbury, Maryland


         I decided to drive to this week's class, and really enjoyed myself in doing so.  The drive was uneventful, other than visiting National Museum Of The US Air Force.  This was the opening weekend of the Memphis Belle Exhibit.  I know many of you have probably seen the movie, but wonder how many of you know the entire story of the plane, and its remarkable crew....  The movie was good, but learning the complete story is worth it.  Suffice to say that they (the 10 man crew, the same crew for every mission) flew 25 missions against the Nazi's in World War II.  This in itself was highly unusual.  It was not uncommon for a B-17 Flying Fortrress to be shot down, nor was it unusual for a crewmember to be baly hurt, requiring a replacement to take their place.  These 10 men flew together for 25 missions, but what really amazed me, was that their pilot was a really 'old' man.  He was all of 24!


         The class itself was a bit of a challenge.  Not because I didn't know the equipment or course material, but because we encountered small issues at every turn.  Luckily, I was able to answer all their questions, and show them things they hadn't known yet.  I could (should) have done better though, but this was only the third time I've delivered this class. No excuse.  But it is the truth.


         Once class was completed on Thursday, I drove to York, Pa on a special 'mission' of my own, spent the night there before heading home.  Friday was a very somber day for me.  I was in the area, and thought I would visit the Flight 93 National Memorial outside Shanksville, Pa.  Tears welled in my eyes as I saw some of the displays, listened to recordings from that fateful day (9/11/01) in case some of you don't know about this), and saw a graphical viewing of the last minutes of the flight as the passengers tried to wrest control of the aircraft from the terrorists.  A black walkway made of individual black brick tiles marks the flight path of the plane as it approached the meadow.  The meadow has a large boulder at the approximate site of the plane's impact.  Nearby is a marble wall with 40 slabs, each slab contains the name of one of the people on the plane.  A wooden gate at the end of the wall is a symbolic entrance to their final resting area.  A new monument called the Tower of Voices is being erected at the entrance to the Memorial Park.  It will be a series of large wind chimes hanging in the middle of a 16 foot diameter monument.          https://www.nps.gov/flni/getinvolved/tower-of-voices.htm  There will be a 40 wind chimes, one for each American who perished on the aircraft.  The plan is for it to be completed in time for the remembrance this year.  I would love to be there!  Sadly, I will be in Colorado that week, thus unable to attend.  If you are in that area, take the opportunity to visit this wonderful memorial.  Have tissues handy, you'll need them.


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         The Crabby Pig          http://www.thecrabbypig.com/  This place sits under the Interstate (I-68) in Cumberland Maryland.  It is a unique place, serving seafood and BBQ.  Their Rib n Seafood Combo was very good!


         Old Mill Crab House          oldmillcrabhouse.com          This place was recommended by the students, and I can see why!  It sits right on the Maryland-Delaware state line.  I figured I'd have something 'small', so I ordered their Blue Crab Mini-Feast.  Except small could never be used to describe this plate!  FIVE Blue Crabs, a Boat Of Fried Clams, Corn-On-The-Cob, a Boat of Fried Shrimp, a piece of Fried Chicken, and a Boat Of Hus Puppies!  Needless to say, I didn't finish this feast...


Photo's From Visit:


P51 Mustang



The Memphis Belle



Bockscar



View Of The Meadow Where Flight 93 Crashed



40 Victims of Terrorism



A View Looking Down The Wall Of Names



Historic/Interesting Places Visited:

         National Museum Of The US Air Force          http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/  If you enjoy things that fly, this is the place for you!  Touring it is a joy for me, I've done that in the past, but not this day.  I was here for one reason, to photograph the Memphis Belle.  If you plan on visiting this museum, give yourself plenty of time, like 4-5 hours at least.


         Flight 93 National Memorial            Every one in America should visit this site to remind them of why we need to remain strong as a military power.  I've said it in this post already, war is horrible.  I don't think it's a necessity, but until we can find a way to not war with other nations, we need to keep our military strong,  Visiting this site will remind you of what can happen if we let our guard down.



In Closing
         I will spend next week in Schaumburg attending meetings, and learning a new course to teach.  After that, it's back to the grind of delivering classes and traveling.  Til my next entry,y'all stay warm or cool, love those close to you, and write!




Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2018 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/935321-Sauntering-Around-Salisbury-and-other-places