*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/937353-July-4th-2018-Celebration
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#937353 added August 4, 2018 at 10:41am
Restrictions: None
July 4th, 2018 Celebration
Date: Week of July 2nd


Locale:  Bloomington, Illinois


         After spending a week in Schaumburg working/upgrading a small system I maintain, I am home for a week.  It's a week to relax, enjoy 'normal' life, and celebrate our nation's birth.  I have to say, it's been a fine week, and it's only Tuesday!


         Tonight I had the privilege and honor to attend an outdoor celebration put on by the local parks and recreation, and sponsored by the local newspaper.  It was the prototypical small town celebration, and I loved every minute of it!


         The hosts were four young adults, but the whole company comprised people of all ages.  Every song was a celebration of the United States, and I was reminded of what our forefathers meant when they wrote the Declaration of Independence, and thought of a lot of our history.  No, we're not a perfect union.  We also aren't fatally flawed either.  As they emphasized in the show, we need to remember, and come together as one.  Not as groups who hate (a word I rarely use, and only use it here for emphasis) others who don't agree with them or think differently than them.  I won't lecture, far be it for me to ever lecture people on how to act.  But we could do so much better than we are right now!


         For some reason, my eyes got sweat in them during the National Anthem.  They always do.  It happened again during America The Beautiful.  I wasn't surprised.  In the middle of the show, they honored veterans and active duty by singing the hymn for each branch of service, and asked us to stand when the hymn for our branch was sung.  I proudly stood, but man, it was tough to not get sweat in my eyes again.  For me, the whole show was very well done, even if the performers were mainly 'amateurs'.  It's something more people should experience so they too can remember what being an American is really about.


         Okay, enough lecture, enough standing on a pulpit and preaching to you all....  *Smile*


In Closing
         I wish you all a very safe, and happy 4th of July.  Take some time to reflect on things, remember those you love, and tell them you love them.  Every day!  Til next time, take care of yourself and those you love.  And of course, WRITE!

© Copyright 2018 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/937353-July-4th-2018-Celebration