*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938114-Ca-Razy-In-Calgary
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#938114 added July 16, 2018 at 9:56pm
Restrictions: None
Ca-Razy In Calgary!
Date: Week of July 9th


Locale:  Calgary, Alberta, Canada


         This week finds me in Calgary, Alberta delivering a class to the Canadian Pacific Railways.  When I made the reservations for this class, I couldn't understand why hotels in Calgary were priced so high.  When I got there, I found out why.  A 'small' festival, called "The Calgary Stampede!"  Now, I'm not much of a country-boy, and am ashamed to say I've never really ridden a horse.  Unless riding a pony in circles at a State Fair counts....  But you know I had to go.  *Smile*


         Calgary has a bit of a western atmosphere, and it shows.  You see a lot of cowboys around, and a lot of western type atmosphere.  It wasn't all because of the Stampede either.  When class was done on Thursday, I decided it would be a good night to see what this Stampede was all about.  I figured it was something like one of our State Fairs, and I wasn't too far off in that idea.  I didn't get to see near enough of it.  Arriving at 6 pm after working all day was fine, but it didn't leave a lot of time to explore.  Especially since I decided to take in the evening show.  The evening show is actually a series of races between Chuck Wagons.  The races are actually heats, with four wagons in each.  Needless to say, the people in the stands had their favorites, and cheered very loudly.  What amazed me though, was the drivers of these Chuck Wagons.  Let me tell you, these guys were 'Mad Men'!  To see them coming around that 4th turn, reins in both hands yelling and raising the reins to get the horses to run faster.  It was a good time, but I remained quiet the whole time, mainly because I was alone, and had no idea who to cheer for....


         I finished class on Friday, and decided I'd look into leaving that day, instead of waiting until a 6 am flight Saturday morning.  Changing the ticket was no problem.  I have a high enough status with United that I can change a ticket for no additional fee. Now, instead of leaving Saturday at 6 am, I was leaving Friday afternoon at 3:20 pm, and would be in Chicago by 8.  So far so good.  After landing in Chicago, I went to get a rental car (I'd foolishly decided to rent one for the drive up, and would need one for the drive back), and was told that Avis had no cars to rent one-way.  But, once I was at the Avis Office, I was told I could rent one since the distance home was no that far (only 150 miles or so).  I asked about an SUV for this week's trip, but was told there was no way.  So I told her I'd take a Yugo if it would get me home Friday night.  She told me it was no problem to get me a car, and that it was 'only' $295 for a one day rental!  I told her she was high (I wasn't irate or anything, it wasn't her fault, it was the company), that it was highway robbery, and that I wouldn't pay that kind of money to rent a car.  I called Hertz, but they wanted $335 for the same time period.  Turns out no car rental companies will rent a car one-way on a Friday or Saturday night from O'Hare.  I ended up spending the night in Chicago, and was picked up Saturday morning.  So much for getting home a day early, huh!


Historic/Interesting Places Visited:

         Calgary Stampede          https://www.calgarystampede.com/    The Calgary Stampede bills itself as 'The Greatest Outdoor Show' on Earth.  It's well work coming to Alberta to experience it.  You will enjoy yourself, I promise you.



In Closing
         I will spend  next  week in Chicago finishing the work I started in June.  I will be upgrading one of the systems we have, the one I take care of basically.  Should be done Friday, and have the week of July 30th to relax before heading off to Plantation, Florida!  Til next time, take care of yourself and those you love.  And of course, WRITE!

© Copyright 2018 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938114-Ca-Razy-In-Calgary