*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/955241-Schaumburg
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#955241 added March 28, 2019 at 9:24pm
Restrictions: None
Schaumburg
Date: Week of March 18th


Locale: Schaumburg, Illinois


         This week finds me in Schaumburg cross-training a co-worker.  I have to say that this is very satisfying to me, for a couple of reasons.  Let me explain.


         When I was hired by Motorola, I knew NOTHING about RF, radios in particular.  Well, I did know two things.  I knew that AM stands for Amplitude Modulation, and FM stands Frequency Modulation.  But they (the management people I was interviewing with) told me that if I could teach, they (Motorola) would teach me RF theory and practices.  I had a good technical background thanks to my Navy career, but it definitely wasn't in RF.  But my thinking was, "I learned Nuclear Power, learned how to operate, maintain, and repair a Submarine Nuclear Power Plant, so I could definitely learn RF!"

         When I interviewed, I had to do what's called a 'Practice Teach', to prove I could deliver classes.  My students were instructors, people I'd be working with if hired.  After I was done, one of the senior instructors (Bob) told the man who would had the final say about new hires, that he should not hire me.  He explained that I didn't have the background for the job.  As you know from reading above, he was absolutely right.  But Alex (the hiring manager) said, "Jim is former Navy, from the Nuclear Power Program, I'm going to give him a chance."  Bob later became my manager for several years, and this story is one of our favorite to tell.  Bob taught me a lot about RF and radios in general.  He was always willing to answer any questions I had.  What does that have to do with this blog entry?  It was Bob who I was cross-training this past week.  *Smile*



In Closing

         This week I am home in central Illinois doing 'office work'.  Next week I will deliver a class on line.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!

© Copyright 2019 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/955241-Schaumburg