*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958503-201958-Spacey-blog
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#958503 added May 8, 2019 at 12:13am
Restrictions: None
2019年5月8日 Spacey blog
In the future, if space travel became possible, would you want to go? What would most influence your decision whether or not to leave Earth?

I'm at a point in my life that I would most likely not live to the end of the journey. I would have to be inspired and hopeful that my "sacrifice" would bring about some good.

If I were younger... I'd like the sense of adventure, but I probably wouldn't go. I'm not much of a risk taker.

But I can think of scenarios that would impel me. Certainly... no future here or certain death would be one factor. Going with someone I love might convince me as well. The moons of Jupiter and Saturn even Pluto and Charon entice me.

I'm all for investigation, all for exploring space, but I do wish we were more mature as a specie. So, I hope the opportunity isn't too soon.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: I went to the library and shared a flash-fiction I wrote today as it's my mother's birthday. She's... ancient. Fortunately the piece is mostly fiction. She does want to outlive the queen though. See below. There were 10 of us. I listened to others... shared a couple points, but mostly just listened.
IMAGES: wind, a splatter of rain, fragrance of a white-blossomed shrub wafting my way. Wet streets glistening in the lights.
NEW BLOGVILLE: I've been getting 3 to 5 comments which is better than before this "challenge". Not like the old days though. It may be that people don't have time. Some folks are super busy; I'm amazed by their energy.

A kid'll eat ivy too

What could we say. Our mother was going to have a birthday whether we liked it or not. She had vowed to outlive the queen and god-forbid she just might be right. She wanted to learn the purpose of life.

We were getting old ourselves, ready for an inheritance while we could still enjoy it. She obviously didn't care. Her sympathy oozed every time she looked at us and tsk-tsked, "poor dears".

Of course, we went to her party. And the one the next year and the next.

That was before she had a stroke. She lingered. After a month, still lingered. "Never give up" she would twinkle. We silently groaned.

One Tuesday the hospice called and we gathered to bid her goodbye. Two weeks later she was back home calling her younger friends (they were younger than us!) and making plans to go on cruise. She didn't invite us. "Why would I want to hang out with those old fuddy-duddies" she told one of her grand-kids, who gleefully told us.

"I figured it out!" she declared before she left. Life? Purpose? What she figured out she never did tell us. She just got on the boat and waved.

She eventually did die of course. Almost outlived the queen! We dressed in black to spite her. Wept on cue. Looked bereaved when we were supposed to.

A week later, we sat in shock with her lawyer. "That last cruise? She paid for all her friends too. Put it on her credit card. If anything her estate owes them!"

Our dreams of jet-setting dashed, we decided to set up a go-fund-me page. Included a video of mother-dearest at her last birthday party swinging around her walker singing, 'Mairzydoats n dozeydoats". We hope it goes viral.

© Kåre Enga (7.maio.2019) [176.73]
101.561

© Copyright 2019 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958503-201958-Spacey-blog