*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979246-Socializing-for-Autoimmune-Patients
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #2157052
There is beauty in all things!
#979246 added March 26, 2020 at 1:10pm
Restrictions: None
Socializing for Autoimmune Patients
Socializing for Autoimmune Patients is a real thing for those who have it. Others don't realize how damaging it can be for them health-wise. It takes a lot out of them to cope with everyday life, let alone a pandemic situation. But, on the other hand, we are used to being in quarantine situations. Most of us get out when our bodies let us feel great for a day or two if we are lucky. I have learned to deal with my day to day life for a little over eight months when my health started declining about two years ago after a fall I had while moving into a temporary home.

I decided to write this today to help others, and I included what transpired yesterday on my Senior/High-Risk supply shopping. I went to my local Krogers at the designated time as required and suggested on their website, which is in the middle of my usual sleeping time. People have no idea what it entails to disrupt someone who has an autoimmune disease sleeping pattern. I stayed up all night and had prepared myself for two days to do my supply shopping to be in a safe environment. I left my house at 6:30 am and arrived at 6:59 am., returning home at 8:39 am. I wouldn't have done this, except I was very low on food supplies. Trust me, after I experienced what I did, I will not do it again.

The first thing I saw upon going in was that the age group was all ages and didn't matter to the two cashiers that were so-called handling the door from the registers. The second was the pa announcement, announcing to practice social distancing practices. Okay, I agreed with it, kind of them to publish it. I was greeted by a few of the personnel, of course, after I asked where something was. It was like they were so afraid of saying hello even from 6 ft away. Except for one young man, he was delighted to greet me and help me find what I was looking for. I found most of the things on my own. Although I hadn't shopped there in a year it seemed larger than before. I had been using Walmart online shopping, but they were out of most of the supplies that I needed.

I had two more things to get, and that was Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer, and that meant that I needed to go down an aisle that had at least ten people on it. I thought, could this be considered a socialized gathering? I almost yelled out but decided against it. I didn't need a panic on my hands. Of course, there were no Clorox wipes or hand sanitizer, but I remembered I needed dish soap, and that was at the other end where most of the people were. I weaved in and out around the displays and the numb to the situation humans to get to my item. In hand, I head to the checkouts.

Now, this is where I get upset and start to panic a little, well, maybe more than a little. The two cashiers are at self-check and forcing people to the register they want them to go. She signals me to go to a middle cash register, and I shake my head no at her. She raises her voice and tells me that if I want to check out, that's where you're going. I explain that I am an autoimmune patient and am High Risk. She tells me So, you will have to go there and check your things out. I told her no again, and she turned and left. Mind you, their ten self-check registers are around 1 ft apart, making it at least 3 ft from person to person, and they were all full.

I walked over to the other cashier and asked if I could check out at the one that just came available at the front of the line. "Yes, you may she told me," looking at the other cashier. I told them that I was sorry to make such a fuss, but I get sick very easily. They didn't seem too concerned that they had put me in such a compromising high-risk position. I scanned my things and left the building, and I'm not too sure if I will be back to shop with them. I was made to feel that mine or anyone else's safety didn't matter to them or also to the companies.

I guess what my concern is that I wasn't the only one who was in jeopardy. There was the crowd that was checking out at risk as well. I ask if we are to practice social distancing; Why make us check out at self-check at a distance of 3 ft.? What are your ideas about social distancing at the grocery stores while getting your supplies? How are you handling it? I pray that this is over soon.

© Copyright 2020 LegendaryMask❤️ (UN: tblakely5 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LegendaryMask❤️ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979246-Socializing-for-Autoimmune-Patients