*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983214-My-mother
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#983214 added May 10, 2020 at 6:29am
Restrictions: None
My mother
PROMPT May 10th

The prompt today is very simple: Tell us a story about the person you call Mom.

My mother has been dead now for many years but amazingly I discovered things about her I hadn’t known before this weekend. I had a message from my 82 year old brother in the UK. I live in Australia where we aren’t celebrating VE Day but it’s been a huge celebration in England. I’ve seen photos of friends and relations eating scones, jam and cream and cucumber sandwiches in their gardens out in the sunshine. I asked my brother what he was doing as he is in isolation and he said he’d asked our Auntie who is 88 years old if she had memories of VE Day. She told him how she, my grandma, my mum and brother had walked to the town centre where there was a huge party, a bonfire, dancing and singing as they celebrated the end of the war. I was amazed my brother had any memory of so long ago.
Then she said she was staying with Mum and we three kids during the war when a soldier knocked on the door late at night and asked if he could stay the night. (Dad was away in France fighting in the war) Apparently Mum said he could and he stayed for two nights until the Red Caps came and arrested him for desertion! Can you imagine hearing a completely new story about your mother when you’re 76 years old? I was pretty blown away I can tell you.

© Copyright 2020 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983214-My-mother