*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983613-Selflessness
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#983613 added May 15, 2020 at 5:08am
Restrictions: None
Selflessness
PROMPT May 15th

Write about a time when you or someone you know acted selflessly. What was the motivation and what were the results?

I truly think there are those people in the world who always put themselves last. Why do they do it? Do they do it because they know they will be thought better of? I don’t know, because I’m not one of them as much as I’d like to think I’m kind and thoughtful, which I believe I am. I try to help if I can but not to the detriment of my family or my mental well being. I believe we owe it to the ones we love to take care of ourselves first before we can be expected to take care of others. I once said to my daughter that she had no sense of self preservation, as she would let herself be walked over by various people undeserving of her.
I think people who rush into burning buildings and swim out without rescue equipment to save a drowning person haven’t thought it through. What will happen to others they love if they die in the attempted rescue? Of course if it was one of my children drowning I too would try to save them, it goes without saying.
My husband has given 350 blood donations, he enjoys going, he likes the staff there at the centre and it’s something he’s proud of. Why does he do it? I don’t really know but he does get something from doing it. I was pleased he had his first blood transfusion recently, he deserved it.
I think the only true example of selflessness I can come up with is the medical profession as a whole throughout the Covid 19 crisis. They’ve put their lives on the line to care for others. Individually each would have his or her reasons but without them what would we have done?


Frog in a Hanging Basket




© Copyright 2020 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983613-Selflessness