*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993263
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#993263 added September 13, 2020 at 3:40pm
Restrictions: None
Why hasn't there been more progress?
Why hasn't there been more progress?
13.september.2020

Zehra Shallwani [from Pakistan, on facebook]: Yes, I would too. What immediately comes to mind: 1. The government shot at its own citizens (Kent State May 1970), 2. Many hippies became yuppies; they liked the party but then decided they liked money better. 3. The following half-generation (Late Boomers, now 56+) reacted and became me-me-me (basically the mantra of genX now 40-55 who grew up with Reganomics and the War-on-the-Poor (the drug wars). The 80s may have been disco but there were some tough years for anyone entering the job market. They mostly run the country now; they work, they are in positions of power in IT but not as much in gov't. They are scared that their American Dream and Gospel of Prosperity is being attacked. The Millenials (25-40)? Mostly nice and more open but they are struggling wiith debt and with age comes more 'traditional' values similar to the arc of the 60s hippies. The Obama years were mostly calm; some people thought we were post-rascism; but, the racists, nationalists, nativists, extremists and traditionalists never were. And they had their Chump in the WH. And the hateful rhetoric towards women, trans-women, anyone who isn't White has been coming from on high! There are Americans of all ages working on social issues, but the old hippies 65-75 now have the time; the young millenials have no jobs, the traditional people are frightened, so there's turmoil from the top to the bottom. And when there's turmoil, the college students, genZ have either lead the protests (like in my town) or decided to ignore everything and party (universities shutting down due to covid). In summary: there has been progress, but there has been a backlash. there's a lot of apathy as folks got burnt out figuratively, genX is working two-three jobs just to live in the suburbs as far away from poor people as possible. Social progress and regress are cyclcal but the need to not be poor and to not be 'like them' is very very American. Just my opinion and a short response. I'll think about it some more.

© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993263