*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/996074-Theater-of-the-Night
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1311011
A terminal for all blogs coming in or going out. A view into my life.
#996074 added October 18, 2020 at 2:54am
Restrictions: None
Theater of the Night
Ah... the "Theater of the night".

"One Million Stars by Don Two

Mini-review: Definitely poetry. 8/6/8/6 rhythm and abab rhyme throughout (except one line). Standard ballad so this could easily be put to music. This is akin to cowboy poetry. And with the right tune could be a western (not country) song about the dark open skies (think cattle country like Flint Hills in Kansas) away from the city lights.

The down side... to perfectly rhyme some words seem forced. And that effects stanzas 3 and 5 the most. Those could be reconfigured or replaced or left as is as 'contorted verse' may be suitable for the genre. 24 lines of singsong verse is adequate, so good length.

Could use a mild edit but very good as is. I rate it 4.5. Definitely a keeper and could be entered into a contest, if only for the attention and possible reviews.


For: "Space Blog

Write about the universe and the stars.

I commented to Joy : "Space Cadet would tell you that there's much to be learned by wandering. Guinan would say we cannot know... and Kat, caught in her Dreams, never needs to leave the spaceship, which is her home.

My home is this Little Blue Marble. It's big enough for insignificant life forms like me."


For "Space Cadet - the never ending journal and "October Novel Prep Challenge specifically the "October Novel Prep Contest Rounds

THEATER OF THE NIGHT

"Welcome Home." I was startled by the sultry voice coming from nowhere and everywhere in the language of my childhood.

Wing Sheima smiled. "Yes, this will be your new home. Our ship, if you must call it that, cruises from star to star. We call no star system, no galaxy our home. This is our Home.

"We made a short stop to pick you up. We are the Crew that cruises through the Eternal Night what the ignorant call the Void. It's not empty. We are the Wings.

"I'll show you around. As you were made aware Home feels sentient and speaks in a thousand tongues. We Wings speak in only a few; most of us use Galactic Standard."

That I already knew. I could hear a member of the Crew listening to Kla music. I could understand it. My implants worked well.

"This is a greeting, meeting room. There's furniture to sit or lean against or perch on. If you have any special needs just ask me. I'm on duty until the Day Crew takes over. Don't mind the smells. You'll get used to it. And any mess? Don't worry about that either. Just clean up after yourself to not upset the Cleaners. This place isn't a sty but it's lived in. You'll hang out here when you want company.

"Here is The White Room. It's kept pristine for visitors. As clean and devoid of life as possible. The walls can depict scenes from most any planet to put ur guests at ease. There are numerous invisible barriers between here and the Deck and Engineering, don't be fooled. It also scans for any exotic virus or illness. We don't come here unless summoned. No reason. It's sterile and feels alien, nothing like Home.

"The Deck seems quiet now. It can get lively when the Day Crew commands. We Wings are more subdued."

"Except when we're not. I'm Wing Jaafaar and commanding at the moment. Welcome Home. Kat and Cook want to see you so I won't keep you." They both laughed. "No one keeps anything or anybody from Kat."

The Deck seemed grey to my eyes, obviously a spacious work place with monitors and furniture that didn't block movement. Only the main command post was 'huddled'. Only one Wing was intently speaking softly to our sentient Home as he ignored his 'supper' steaming to his right. I listened in for a moment. With 4 ears I could hear a pin drop a galaxy away.

As simple and open as it looked I knew that if threatened it could defend itself and isolate command. If needed, Home could exist without a crew; that was sobering.

Off the Deck, there was an area for lounging. Kinda like a cafe with tables and a kitchen area. It wasn't empty. There was a gathering that clapped their appendages and shouted out of tune, "Welcome Home." as I entered.

"I'll let you meet everyone for awhile. Cook will show you to you quarters as soon as you're finished with your soup." Wing Sheima left to go back to the Deck as everyone chuckled.

"Soup's up!"

"Are you Cook?" I dared ask. As a Xeno I was amused. The checkered hat, the redgloves, the striped apron... so...

"Yep. Now sip it to the last drop. I added a bit of sleepy-time as you'll need to nap until the rest of the grand tour when you wake up. Most new residents of this floating hotel arrive during the Day."

I slurped the slighty salty spicy brew as everyone went back to what they were doing. I'd get to know them later. One however kept her green and gold eyes on me.

Cook brought another bowl and sat down. The feline figure slinked over and joined us.

"I'm Kat. I dreamt about you. That's why you're here. I know you're a Xeno, suspect you're more than that; your hearing's acute and I can read your twitching ears like a book. I'm a Xeno too. But I'm known for my Dreams."

It may not be wise to be direct with unknown felines but I took a chance. "What did you dream?"

"This is your fate. I've no idea why but Home would be incomplete without you. I'm assigning you to record our daily life. Home can spew out data but we need a living account. Both official and personal. Your personal insights may prove to be more valuable. Don't ask me why. I dream and although those dreams do not predict they are to be heeded. Now, I must go back to my nap. Your presence here is calming. I shall sleep soundly."

Cook looked intently at me as Kat left but said nothing as I finished my second bowl.

"I'll show you to your quarters while you can still walk."

Doors opened and shut. The walls were different colors and designs. Both walls and floors varied to the touch. Some smooth, some rough. Once memorized it would be hard to get lost. Each corridor, each intersection, each door, each room varied by color, smell and sound. Now a gentle waterfall. Now a tickling of chimes. Now the sweet floral smell of a place I had once visited. I saw no one for many minutes. The corridors were wide and some gently sloped, rising and falling though the levels; some moved when commanded. There were no cursed stairs and the one lift we passed was huge enough for a baby Living Rock. We sentient star-voyagers come in all shapes and sizes. One chirped a greeting as it flew past.

"Most everyone is asleep. Here is your cubicle."

It was snug, just-my-size. A bed, a table, shelves, little else. I had brought almost no luggage. It was being scanned and sterilized before it was delivered when I woke up. Everything would fit beneath the bed. On the table there were writing tools and pads.

"Kat wanted you to be comfortable. When you are ready to sleep just tell Home to adjust the heat, the temp, the sounds and smells. Don't be fooled by her sultry voice by-the-way. She's a cold mistress."

I sat there drowsy thinking how it had only been a few hours since I had received the summons. I was interrupted before I drifted off.

"I'm here to make you comfortable, What is your pleasure?"

I could have sworn there was a chuckle in Home's voice as the light dimmed and went out to the wet hush of snow falling.

© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/996074-Theater-of-the-Night