Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1480630
by Brook
Rated: E · Message Forum · Fantasy · #1191289
Discuss your fantasy and sci-fi worlds.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 30, 2007 at 4:09am
The Odralis
I have yet to finish a story about this place, but it is a region called the Odralis. It is similar to northern Europe with lots of open fields and mountains.

The people, also called the Odralis, are simple farmers for the most part. However, some have been known to join trade caravans and travel to distant lands. Their level of technology is equal to that of the early bronze age. They are a deeply ritualistic society which has rituals for birth, adulthood, marriage, death, and the passage of seasons. They are very superstitious. Their villages are led by wisemen, who know all the old chants and songs. The people come to them for advice and are more loyal to them than their lords, who are shut off from their sunjects. Some of the rulers are wise and just, but the majority are tyrants, who rule with an iron fist and a bloody sword.

The Odralis cannot really be called a country because it is fragmented with dozens of independent regions left over from a great, unifying kingdom of the past which no one seems to know anything about (like people in medieval Italy looking back at the Roman ruins). Three real cities remain as centers of learning and all are able to do so because they are trading hubs, connected by the more advanced lands to the south and west.

I have begun one story about one of the kingdoms of the Odralis and the people's ressurection against their tyrranical lord. When it's done, I will post it in more portfolio.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Odralis · 03-30-07 4:09am
by Irothane
Re: The Odralis · 05-13-09 1:34pm
by Brook
Re: The Odralis · 02-20-12 3:50pm
by Mrwriter

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brook.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1480630