*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2105113
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 30, 2010 at 1:37pm
Re: Genre Discussion: Steampunk
I thought about doing this, but with my contest and offsite commitments... I am thrilled someone did.

Steam punk seems like the newest craze in fandom. It seems like it has been awhile since something came form only books and started a craze.

I am trying to write a story. I like what I have but writing this month has not really been happening. I've read tons.

So let's pour ourselves a nice cup of STEAM ya punk, and warm ourselves. Remember, steam is 100% organic, low in calories, and easy to recycle.

Steampunk is one of the many subgenera's of Sci-fi. It is almost always set in the victorian era, where in an alternate history steam power is KING.

Unlike most of SF, Steampunk seems to appeal to men and woman of different ages. I think that is because it draws upon many things that already have proven to be enjoyable and fascinating: time travel, history, gadgets, gothic tales, Jack the Ripper, Sherlock Holmes, Jules Vern, Tarzan, Mary Shelley, Alice in Wonderland, Edger Allen Poe, H.G. Wells, vampires, H. P. Lovecraft, spies and more.

Then, mix in rowdiness, rebellion and refinement, than you've got something.

Women are not victims, who are falling down and in need of rescuing. No... They kick ass too.

And if one must become wedged in time; it ain't a bad place to be wedged. Steam anyone?

To Dream, perchance to write...

"Invalid Item

They cling to the bones, linger in the heart and sing to you when you're asleep.

Stories are good company: They wait for you, are always happy to see you, don't eat very much and rarely leave messes.

Alice in the land of magic and gore
MESSAGE THREAD
Genre Discussion: Steampunk · 06-30-10 12:33pm
by Allyson Lindt
*Star* Re: Genre Discussion: Steampunk · 06-30-10 1:37pm
by AliceNgoreland
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Steampunk · 06-30-10 6:04pm
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Steampunk · 06-30-10 10:42pm
by Light
Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Steampunk · 07-01-10 12:48am
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Steampunk · 07-01-10 8:23am
by Allyson Lindt

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2105113