*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2111156
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 15, 2010 at 5:37pm
Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Vampires
I loved the Blade movies - but more for the action than the vampire aspect. The third one though...BAD. I'm not a fan of Anne Rice, though *Frown* She's got this habit that right around the middle of her books, they draaaag...I thought interview with a vampire was one of the few books I've ever read that was better as a movie. (didn't think the same of Queen of the Damned. Talk about ruining Lestat).

ANYWAY...I was a fan of the angsty teenage vampire before Twighlight was a twinkle in twighlight lady's eye. Buffy, Vampire Diaries (the first time they were printed, and anything else by LJ Smith), all that. I think two aspects draw me into the genre. In the movies - I love the action (think the Underworld movies). But that's becasue I'm a fan of high action. I can ignore a lot of screaming plot holes if the fight scenes are good enough...the first time around at least.

And second, I think one thing done well in the earlier 'sexy' vampire stories (yes, Anne Rice, but Brahm Stoker even before that), is the intimacy involved in feeding. If that's written well, vampires can have a lot of sex appeal (for some very sick and twisted reasons that usually qualify as fetish in erotica, but I guess they don't have to be called that in tamer fiction, because they're more subtle). But still...

One thing I've never been able to relate to, though...the whiny angsty little girls in vampire stories who want to be 'turned'.

Oh...and what does everyone think about the whole 'soul' thing? Do vampires have them? Is it a stupid bit of legend that's overdone? Not examined often enough? And how does that tie in with the guilt of taking human lives in order to survive?

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Genre Discussion: Vampires · 07-15-10 3:37pm
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Genre Discussion: Vampires · 07-15-10 4:02pm
by LJPC - the tortoise
Re: Genre Discussion: Vampires · 07-15-10 4:09pm
by Vampyr14
*Star* Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Vampires · 07-15-10 5:37pm
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Vampires · 07-15-10 6:36pm
by Light
Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Vampires · 07-15-10 7:02pm
by Raven
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Vampires · 07-15-10 9:26pm
by Vampyr14
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Vampires · 07-21-10 4:40pm
by Allyson Lindt
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Genre Discussion: Vampires · 07-21-10 4:37pm
by Allyson Lindt

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2111156