*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2125106
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 19, 2010 at 10:31am
Re: Who do you write for?
by Rewrite
Hi Amarisa,

I would say it depends on the desired outcome of what you're writing. If you are writing the piece with no intention of shooting for publication, then write the end the way you want to see it conclude (It's your story darn it!). However, If you are looking to publish... then it might be a little more complicated. In one sense you want to see the story come to it's 'rightful' conclusion but on the other hand you want your readers to fall in love with your work and demand more books before you've even thought about the next one...

Now taking into consideration you haven't written the ending yet... I would consider shooting for the ending that you want first (If you really feel that strongly about it) and then if you get push back (and by that I mean the 'we'll publish if you change the ending' type of push back) about bumping off your main man... then I'd start considering taking a shot at a different ending. Maybe your main character biting the big one would end up making the story the best seller it is destined to be! *Cool* On the other hand, maybe you'll get to the end and realize it might be better if he didn't get thrown off that train... (wow, I hope I didn't spoil the ending! *Wink* )

Just some thoughts,

Rewrite
MESSAGE THREAD
Who do you write for? · 07-30-10 12:26pm
by Amarisa
*Star* Re: Who do you write for? · 08-19-10 10:31am
by Rewrite
Re: Who do you write for? · 03-15-11 11:06am
by mrsvoelkel
Re: Re: Who do you write for? · 04-04-11 8:34pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Who do you write for? · 04-18-11 8:04am
by Liam Jackson
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who do you write for? · 04-18-11 8:11am
by Liam Jackson
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who do you write for? · 04-18-11 7:39pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who do you write for? · 04-18-11 7:36pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Who do you write for? · 04-04-11 8:31pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2125106