*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2278574
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Entertainment · #430646
Actors, actresses, movies, TV -- It's the 'Golden Globe' of Writing.Com! Quill Nominee
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 4, 2011 at 6:33pm
Re: "Contact"
I've "only" read Sagan's novel... you nailed it and his attitude "coded" between the lines well. Even non-believers obviously can thaw up a bit. I find it great that he acknowledged the idea of intelligent design, although he had a reputation to lose and his colleagues could have ridiculed him for it. that shows character.

What stuck with me also was the quote you brought, about us being alone in the Universe's infinity would be an awful waste of space.

I indeed believe aliens or better other civilizations exist (did even before I read "Contact"
*Wink*), but only after reading the novel I "got" that we probably will never meet them because of those great distances.

Actually sad, I think... but I think Stephen Hawking has a point, too, when he says we shouldn't be too enthusiastic about meeting "them" should they ever find a way to conquer the distance to earth because we can't know how this "meeting" would go, that "they" could be hostile toward us and we wouldn't know what would happen.

Maybe I'll watch the movie someday. Even though it's quite long I think I won't doze off as I did when I tried to watch "Titanic" - never finished that one, always dozed off... it's just too long. *Pthb*

That's the essence of me - short and revealing...
Signature created by our dear talented friend, Kelly1202
Angel Army Signature 9
MESSAGE THREAD
"Contact" · 08-03-11 7:03am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: "Contact" · 08-04-11 2:36pm
by Sum1
Re: Re: "Contact" · 08-04-11 4:42pm
by Maryann
Re: Re: Re: "Contact" · 08-08-11 2:14am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: "Contact" · 08-08-11 2:10am
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: "Contact" · 08-04-11 6:33pm
by Olivia's on Hi-Carb 2313608
Re: Re: "Contact" · 08-08-11 2:30am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: "Contact" · 08-06-11 10:53pm
by Brooklyn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2278574