SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2386401
Rated: E · Message Forum · Community · #1762244
Come sit on the porch and visit awhile.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 26, 2012 at 5:16pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: New Member Here!!
I actually thought Toad Suck was a joke, a made-up-name in your bio. No kidding? There really is such a place? I love it. Sounds like it has a lot of history. I was curious, so I googled it. Here's what Wikipedia says about the town:

What does "Toad Suck" mean anyway? Well, the answer is quite simple... Long ago, steamboats traveled the Arkansas River when the water was at the right depth. When it wasn't, the captains and their crew tied up to wait where the Toad Suck Lock and Dam now spans the river. While they waited, they refreshed themselves at the local tavern there, to the dismay of the folks living nearby, who said: "They suck on the bottle 'til they swell up like toads." Hence, the name Toad Suck. The tavern is long gone, but the legend and fun live on at Toad Suck Daze. Toad Suck Daze is an annual fair that raises funds for scholarships. First organized in 1982, the festival is held annually in nearby downtown Conway during the first weekend in May. Originally held at Toad Suck Park near the Arkansas River Lock and Dam, the festival was moved to the downtown location in 1990 due to flooding at the river and has remained in the downtown area ever since.
MESSAGE THREAD
New Member Here!! · 04-24-12 11:33am
by Winnie Kay
Re: New Member Here!! · 04-24-12 12:43pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: New Member Here!! · 04-24-12 1:14pm
by Winnie Kay
Re: Re: Re: New Member Here!! · 04-24-12 10:19pm
by Pat ~ Rejoice always!
Re: Re: Re: Re: New Member Here!! · 04-25-12 4:23pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Member Here!! · 04-25-12 8:24pm
by Pat ~ Rejoice always!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Member Here!! · 04-25-12 11:12pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: New Member Here!! · 04-25-12 4:05pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: New Member Here!! · 04-26-12 5:16pm
by Winnie Kay

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Pat ~ Rejoice always!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2386401