*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3271460
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #853707
Help using the official site plug pages: request posts to be deleted, ask questions, etc.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 18, 2019 at 8:23am
Edited: May 18, 2019 at 9:06am
*Heartp*Re: Re: Please Help!
Because I didn't know the official rules as to what makes a contest. lol I didn't check the Activities page, just the contest page and took requests. If it seems like a contest (write an entry, get judged), that's good enough for me. *Bigsmile*

Wait...How does "Invalid Item not count as a contest? The rules are "The typical entrant creates a piece of writing in an item in their own port." Yes, she does allow items to be posted in the forum, but the typical entrant does enter in a book item, which is an item in their own port. (And it happens on WdC and she judges based on their skill, fulfilling all 3 rules, IMO.)

I think we need to rethink the rules for a contest. In real life, as long as the thing (pie, picture, car, whatever) is yours, that's the main point of that part of a contest in the outside world. If the writing belongs to that person, extremely short writing should be allowed to be entered in the forum and the forum still be considered a contest, IMO. The basic idea is that it's a competition. If I said it shouldn't have to be judged to be a contest, well that wouldn't be a contest. But I'm saying an entry written in the forum counts as it only goes against the rules here, not the rules of what society views as a contest.

I believe this rule was created during a time when no one thought about an entry being 25 words or 140 characters, thus requiring an item made more sense. I agree if the writing is 500 words, it should be an item, but not 5 words. Five words should not have to be an item to qualify for a contest. That just doesn't make sense. I'm DEFINITELY not trying to offend anyone. But for whomever created the original rule, I am still sure they weren't thinking of such super short items when they did. No offense is intended to that person! Life and society changes and sometimes the rules need to follow. *Wink*

Oh, and definitely let me know if there is another rule that makes these items not a contest, because that's the only one I agree they might not be following, well, except Tweet. I think Tweet is following them all with the word "typical" being in there. *Wink* Oh wait...or is it because it allows a book entry? I mean, that's kind of being picky, IMO. An entry in a book is still like an item, it's just in another format. The spirit of it is still there. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this whole thing...quite possible. *Laugh*
MESSAGE THREAD
*Heartp*Please Help! · 05-17-19 4:56pm
by ruwth
Re: Please Help! · 05-17-19 11:43pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
*Star* Re: Re: Please Help! · 05-18-19 8:23am
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister
Re: Re: Please Help! · 05-18-19 10:25am
by ruwth
Re: Re: Re: Please Help! · 05-18-19 2:03pm
by Sally
Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Help! · 05-19-19 1:25pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Help! · 05-19-19 2:45pm
by Sally

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, St. Patrickraken.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3271460