*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/768196
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Sci-fi · #420688
Welcome Trekkers. Have a cup of Klingon Raktajino, and enjoy our friendly Starbase.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 26, 2003 at 7:08pm
Re: Star Wars or Star Trek
by onaya3
I agree with Maryann,

I like both Star Wars and Star Trek, but Star Trek certainly does seem closer to home than does Star Wars... literally. At the beginning of each Star Wars we are greeted with the small introduction, "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." and there is nothing of the planet earth in their stories, or about human nature, because George Lucas's vision has nothing to do about earth, and only a little about the future of humanity.

Sure you can debate that their stories relate to the human condition, father-son relationships, amidala getting over her prejudice to ask Ja Ja's people for help (in Phantom Menace) but nothing like Star Trek, where in ST: First Contact it discusses World War III and Zefram Cochrane's first warp drive that brought about 'first contact' with an extra-terrestial species that launched the human species into a world wide peace and end to poverty and brought humanity into a kind of golden age with huge technological advances.

I think that's the anchor of Star Trek's popularity, knowing or hoping inside of ourselves that things are going to get better for ourselves and kind. And that was Gene's vision for our future, and I'll just borrow a quote from Rick Berman the Executive Producer on ST:TNG on this matter:

"Gene felt strongly about the goodness of mankind. He liked to think of the future where wonderful things would continue and man could enhance the quality of his life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"A wedding gown?? Mother, stop! You're telling me you're not going to be naked at your own wedding?"

Deanna to Lwaxana Troi - ST:TNG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MESSAGE THREAD
Star Wars or Star Trek · 11-20-03 11:34am
by Maryann
*Star* Re: Star Wars or Star Trek · 11-26-03 7:08pm
by onaya3
Re: Re: Star Wars or Star Trek · 12-10-03 2:44pm
by C. Powell

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/768196