*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/775970
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Sci-fi · #420688
Welcome Trekkers. Have a cup of Klingon Raktajino, and enjoy our friendly Starbase.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 10, 2003 at 2:44pm
Re: Re: Star Wars or Star Trek
Even though I would profess to liking Star Wars more, I do have a fondness for Star Trek, much for the reasons stated above. I like to occassionally believe in the goodness of humanity and Star Trek is the epitome of that trait winning out. We would never reach the level of technology and cooperation seen in the Federation otherwise.

On the other hand, Star Wars is an escape, but more indicitave of the present condition of humanity. It recognises the struggle and that evil can prosper, but good can overcome the darkness and fight on and perhaps succeed, but not without cost. In that vein, Star Wars is far more realistic and grounded even though it is by definition a space fantasy as opposed to true science fiction, which Star Trek is certainly beholden to.

Of course most Trekkers would disagree with this next assessment, but Babylon 5 to me feels more like the future than both Star Wars and Star Trek, even though I really can watch any of the three and be happy. Also, Babylon 5 has a greater sense of cohesion throughout the story and it did not back down from making hard choices in characters and charactersations. Only Deep Space 9 comes close in dealing with such issues.

Anyway, hope I didnt open too much of a can of worms with adding B5 into the mix :)

Cheers,
Chris

"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. " -- Kosh
MESSAGE THREAD
Star Wars or Star Trek · 11-20-03 11:34am
by Maryann
Re: Star Wars or Star Trek · 11-26-03 7:08pm
by onaya3
*Star* Re: Re: Star Wars or Star Trek · 12-10-03 2:44pm
by C. Powell

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/775970